Chapter 37

The castle was mostly deserted. Probably because everyone was putting on their supporter's t-shirts. The Gryffindors would most definitely support Harry, just as the Hufflepuffs would support Cedric. Slytherin would choose neither and instead cheer on Durmstrang. I wasn't too sure whom the Ravenclaws would choose though...

I made my way up the staircases, leading me to Gryffindor tower. And I was right. Everyone there was wearing shirts with Harry's name, surname or Quidditch number on them. Some girls were painting their boyfriends' faces with red and gold while Dean was finishing up his banner with Neville's help.

"Where've you been?" Seamus wondered, walking over to me. Someone had written Harry's surname on his forehead with red paint. "Out." I simply stated, walking towards Lavender. "No!" Seamus stopped me, grabbing my wrist. "You've been sneaking around all year. I barely see ya!" he yelled. I lowered my head, he was right. I've been so busy with Cedric and the tournament I barely spoke to my best friend.

"I was with Diggory. He was freaking out about tonight and I helped him get over it." I admitted. It wasn't entirely a lie. Just not entirely truthful either. Seamus sighed, looking at me. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't realise how little time we spent together." I muttered. My best friend just kept staring at me. "Look, I'm not too happy about you spending time with Diggory, but it's fine. Just...make some time for me every now and then." He smiled sheepishly. I slung my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. He chuckled, hugging me back.

Dean came up to us, tutting at my outfit. "You are not going out like that." he said disgusted, glancing at my sweater. I laughed as he handed me a red shirt with golden details at the sleeves. "Fine, I'll wear it." I said, walking towards my dorm. No one was there, as all of my roommates were probably downstairs helping everyone with their face paint. I took of my sweater and put on the red shirt. I also took my hair out of the ponytail and brushed it, before heading downstairs again.

"Rowen! Sit down. Now." Lavender demanded. I looked at her confused, but sat down on the sofa anyways. She pulled out some brushes and gold paint. "What are you doing?" I questioned, pushing her hand away from my face. "Calm down, I'm not gonna stab your eyes out." she giggled. "Then what are you gonna do?" I laughed nervously. "Paint a lion on your forehead, of course." she stated, leaning forward. I let out a sigh and just went with it. That's usually the best to do when Lavender is doing something with makeup or face paint.

I sat there, talking to Dean and Seamus while Lavender kept grumbling I had to keep still. "Oh, you are truly horrid, you know that?" she eventually groaned. "I'm just having a conversation with my friends." I argued. "Which is why you keep frowning!" she yelled.

It felt like I sat there for ages as Lavender painted my forehead. "Are you done yet?" I asked after about an hour. The blonde took a deep breath and placed a few gentle strokes on my forehead, before stepping backwards. She admired her work for a bit, before nodding. "You look gorgeous!" she squealed. "And we're almost late!" Dean exclaimed, pulling me up. Neville threw me my coat and we ran towards the Quidditch field.

The stands were already packed with students and ministry officials alike. "Up here!" someone shouted from above. I spotted Fred and George, waving us over. I dragged my friends up the stands, moving towards my brothers. "Where the hell have you been?" Fred asked once we got to them. I pointed at my forehead and then at Lav. George nodded understandingly while the band started playing an up-tempo song.

"Here they come!" someone shouted, pointing at the patch of grass. Amos Diggory ran onto the field, gesturing towards his son. Cedric smiled shyly, looking at everyone there. Our eyes met for a split second, making the Hufflepuff grin from ear to ear. He showed me a yellow feather, which he hid in his pocket. "That bastard actually kept it." I mumbled to myself.

The other champions followed soon after, along with their heads of schools. Lastly, Dumbledore walked onto the field, making his way towards a small stage. "SILENCE!" he ordered, shutting everyone up. The band went quiet as everyone sat down.

"Earlier today, professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as mister Diggory..." Dumbledore was cut off by the Hufflepuffs cheering loudly. "...and mister Potter..." This time all the Gryffindors cheered. "...are tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by mister Krum..." The Durmstrang students cheered loudly. "...and miss Delacour." the headmaster finished. The Beauxbatons girls clapped politely.

"The first person to touch the cup, will be the winner!" Dumbledore announced. "I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should, at any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands." he explained, gesturing for the champions to gather around. We were all dead silent, hoping to catch a word or two. Obviously, we didn't.

Moments later, the contestants moved towards their entrances. "Champions, prepare yourselves!" Dumbledore shouted. Amos hugged his son one last time, before walking towards the stands. "On the count of three! One-" But the cannon had already been fired. Cedric glanced at me, giving me an assuring smile before venturing into the maze. The band had started playing the cheery tune once again. The hedge closed itself behind him and the waiting game began.

About fifty minutes later, red sparks came from the western side of the maze. Another five minutes later, professor Sprout came walking towards us, holding Fleur's unconscious body. Madame Pompfrey hurried towards the French girl. "She's alright." the nurse reassured us before carrying her towards the medics' tent.

Another two hours passed without anything happening. I had sat down, leaning on George's shoulder. "Well this is just straight up boring." Fred remarked. "You tell me." I groaned, playing with my hair. The band was still playing that godforsaken tune. At first it had been nice to have something to listen to, but after the thirtieth time, it had gotten pretty annoying.

Then, two forms apparated to the centre of the grassy circle. We all got up, hurrying to see the victors. Everyone was clapping and cheering loudly, on our way to congratulate them. Until Fleur let out a blood-curdling scream. I ran to her side, to comfort my friend about whatever scared her that much.

And that's when I noticed something was wrong. Harry was thrown over Cedric's lifeless body. Dumbledore tried to pull him off, without success. Some ministry officials crowded them, hiding the two students from sight.

Moments later, the others also realised what had happened. I let go off Fleur, running to Cedric's side. McGonagall tried to stop me, but I pushed right passed her. "The body must be moved, Dumbledore, there's too many people." the minister of magic hissed. I fell down next to the Hufflepuff, looking for a pulse.

Silent tears streamed down my face as I realised he was really gone. Cedric Diggory was dead. Professor McGonagall wrapped her arms around me, holding me like a mother would. "NO! Ced, you were gonna travel!" I sobbed, holding his cold hand.

"That's my son! That's my boy!" Amos Diggory screamed. My dad looked at me, my eyes all red and blotchy. Amos fell down to my right, looking at his son's body. "It's my boy!" the man cried. Cedric's lifeless eyes stared at the sky above him. "WAKE UP! COME ON! WAKE UP!" I yelled, squeezing Ced's hand. "Rowen, he's gone." my dad tried to reason with me. "NO!" I roared, pulling myself from McGonagall's grip. Tears flowed down my face like a never ending waterfall.

I let go of Cedric's hand, turning my attention to Amos. "He can't be gone. He was gonna travel the world." I told the man in a small voice. He simply nodded, holding his son's body.

"Wait, there's something in his pocket!" my dad noticed. Dumbledore took out the yellow fwooper feather with a slip of parchment tied to it. Amos carefully took it from Cedric's pocket and took off the piece of parchment. " 'Death may be the greatest of all human blessings', Socrates." he read in a shaking voice.

I looked up to the sky, trying to forget every memory of him I had. But I couldn't. Because that Hufflepuff had stolen my heart in more than one way. Ronan was right. Something terrible had happened...