Chapter 38

That night I didn't sleep. I couldn't bring myself to. The guy I had started to love was dead. No longer would we share quotes and laugh about silly things. The note that had been attached to the fwooper feather laid on my nightstand. My pillow was drained with tears. By now, I had stopped crying, not because I wasn't sad anymore, but because I didn't have any more tears to cry. My body was shaking with empty sobs.

I always thought people were overreacting when they said they were hurting because of a broken heart. I couldn't be more wrong...

Morning came quicker than I wanted it to. I'd have to face my friends and family. All of them asking if I was okay. Couldn't they think of that answer themselves? The first rays of sunlight broke through the closed curtains. They seemed too bright. Too happy.

"Rowen..." Hermione's gentle voice whispered. I didn't reply. "You have to get up." she ushered me. "Leave me alone." I managed to mumble. My voice cracked. "Please...They say there's gonna be a memorial this afternoon." Lavender attempted. "They can shove that bloody memorial up their arse. People who barely knew him will start crying, claiming he was their closest friend." I snapped. No one said anything. "Leave her." Padma mumbled. "We'll come and get you before the memorial." Parvati added. I didn't say anything. The girls got dressed and walked out.

I was left alone with nothing but my thoughts. Bad choice. My mind started replaying every event concerning Cedric for the hundredth time that day. How he smiled whenever I talked about creatures, how he apologised for all the little things, how his face lit up when we were having a conversation. How he always had a quote to reply with.

Cedric Diggory, you absolute arse...you made your way into my heart.

No, it wasn't his fault. He was just too nice. No one could resist his lopsided grins. Not even Snape and his heart of stone. He was liked by everyone, even the worst Slytherins. Cedric simply was.

Hours upon hours past as I tried to remember every quote we shared. It was an impossible task. Too many words exchanged. I should have stayed away...then I wouldn't be so sad right now. But I had been so happy 24 hours earlier. How? Happiness seemed like a foreign feeling. I felt empty. All of the sudden, I was a stranger to myself.

I wasn't the Rowena Elizabeth Weasley I was a week ago. I wasn't the Rowena Elizabeth Weasley I was a day ago. I am the me in the now. And even if that me is broken, it's still me. I wanted to scream at the universe. Why the nicest boy in the school? Why not someone who deserved it? The clouds in the sky just stared at me with unblinking eyes.

The door of the dormitory opened. Hermione and professor McGonagall entered the room. "Miss Weasley? Amos Diggory has requested for you to be at the memorial." the woman spoke. "I don't care." I mumbled. "It was quite a firm request." she added. "Still don't care." I hissed. Hermione sat down on my bed, looking into my eyes. They were probably all red and blotchy from the crying. "Please...he needs someone there that was close to his son." she begged me. "He can ask Thomas or Emma." I grumbled. "They both refuse to leave their common room." Mione argued. "So do I." I fired back.

"Very well then. Miss Weasley, if you don't come to the memorial, you are officially suspended for the rest of the year." McGonagall stated. My eyes widened as I sat up straight. "You can't do that." I said with a small smile. "I'm the deputy headmistress. I can do whatever the hell I wish." she smirked. I stared at the woman before me. "Fine." I groaned, getting out of bed.

After I got dressed, Hermione and professor McGonagall accompanied me to the Great Hall. It was already packed with students from all three schools. The Hogwarts banners hung from the beams. The ceiling's enchantment had been removed, showing the actual ceiling for the first time.

Hermione sat with Harry and Ron while McGonagall pulled me with her to the very front of the hall. Dumbledore was sitting in his chair, lost in thought. The transfiguration professor sat me down next to Amos Diggory. His wife was crying silently. "Rowena Weasley?" Amos asked. His eyes were teary. I nodded, giving them a kind smile. "I'm so sorry for your loss. Cedric was...one of a kind." I breathed out. "Thank you. You know, he wrote a lot of things about you in his letters." Amos said. "I had no idea..." I muttered. "You made quite an impression on our boy." Mrs. Diggory said in a shaky voice. I nodded thankfully as Dumbledore spoke up.

"Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss." the headmaster began, standing up. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded and most importantly, a fierce...fierce friend," He paused for a moment, looking every student in the eye.

"Now I think therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see...Cedric Diggory was murdered...by Lord Voldemort! The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think would be an insult to his memory! Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendships we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest... and brave, true, right to the very end." Dumbledore finished.

Amos was holding his wife, who was crying silently. "Now, I heard that miss Weasley would like to say a few words." Dumbledore stated, looking at me. I eyed Mrs. Diggory, who nodded. If the Diggorys wanted me to say a few words...then so be it. I got up and walked towards Dumbledore. He gestured for me to speak up.

"Before I start, I would like for everyone to think of one thing they liked about Cedric. One act of kindness that made you like him. Because that's who Cedric was. Always kind to even the rudest people. He never hurt anyone...which is why he became one of my dearest friends..." I waited a second, taking deep breaths. Tears threatened to spill, but I refused for them to do so. "Cedric was someone that could brighten your day with a single smile. Or, in my personal experience, a single quote," I looked up at the ceiling.

"So, Cedric, if you're up there, remember that history never really says 'goodbye', but instead says 'see you later.' And I know that you'll always be there to look after us, because that's who you are. Once, life asked death, 'Why do people love me, but hate you?' Death responded, 'Because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth.' And I think that's true. For we all have one thing in common. We all die. And that's when we realise that everything has an end. Unfortunately for Ced, that ending came soon. So, I'll see you later, Cedric." I finished, tears streaming down my face.

I looked around the Great Hall, seeing pretty much everyone with tears in their eyes. "Thank you, miss Weasley." Dumbledore smiled, tears glistening behind his spectacles. I nodded and walked back to my seat. "That was beautiful." Mrs. Diggory said, her eyes red. "You really cared for our boy." Amos mumbled, hugging me tightly. I nodded and closed my eyes, as one sentence kept repeating itself in my head.

See you later, Cedric...