Chapter 40

The only source of light in the Hufflepuff common room came from the chandelier. The candles flickered gently in the breeze. It all seemed wrong. "It looks too happy." Emma remarked, looking around. "What does?" Josie wondered. "Everything." I answered, fiddling with my hands. All four of us were silent, too tired to move.

I had never felt so miserable before. We had been crying long after my lecture. We cried until we had no more tears left. And after we had cried out all those tears, it seemed quiet. Like nothing would ever happen again. Like this was the ending of all and everything.

Yet deep down, we knew it was not.

There was still a funeral coming up, the ending of this year, another year of Hogwarts for me...a life. A life without Cedric Diggory.

"How can we go on without him?" I questioned childishly. "We'll just have to try, I suppose." Thomas sighed, wrapping his arms around me. "I don't want to try." I admitted quietly. "Neither do I." Josie mumbled. "We'll have to. For Ced." Emma stated, hugging her girlfriend close. Jickett waddled onto my shoulder, smiling sadly.

"But you guys won't be here...how am I supposed to go on without you guys here?!" I exclaimed, desperately looking at Thomas. "You'll have your friends. The Irish guy, your brothers, your sister...They'll pull you through." Emma assured me. I allowed Jickett to wrap his arms around my finger. "I'm gonna miss you guys...You're family." I murmured, looking at the Hufflepuffs. "So are you, redhead...you're our little sister." Thomas said, ruffling my hair.

I glanced at the clock, seeing it was about two in the morning. "I should head back to the Gryffindor dorms." I stated, getting up. "You're right...we're the only morons that are still up." Josie laughed hoarsely. "We'll walk you back." Emma offered. I shook my head, placing Jickett outside. The bowtruckle waddled back to the forest, waving at us. We waved back.

"You guys need sleep. Tomorrow's the second-to-last day of school." I told them, walking towards the barrel. "You sure?" Thomas worried. I nodded. "Thank you...for...for everything." I smiled. It was a genuine smile of happiness. "You too, red. You too." Emma saluted.

"Josie?" I spoke up. The black-haired girl turned her attention to me. "Take care of your girlfriend. She needs it." I whispered. She nodded, grabbing Emma's hand. "And Thomas?" I said. He looked up. "Don't keep your emotions bottled up." I instructed. He chuckled, nodding. "I promise, Rowen." he assured me. "Good." I grinned, turning around.

"Hey, Rowen!" Emma yelled. I spun around. "Don't blame this on yourself. We don't want you to...and neither would Ced." she told me. I nodded shortly, walking out of the common room.

The hallways were deserted, not even a house elf roaming the corridors. It was the darkest hour, both literally and figuratively. Because there was no one here to support me. I could do whatever I wanted and no one would stop me...

No.

I am a Gryffindor, this is what we do, right? Stay strong, oppress our emotions, ignore the constant gnawing of pain...do we not? We're fearless. We fight for what is right, not for what is easy...we are warriors, taking up the good cause. But can't we be weak every now and then?

Without thinking, I had reached Gryffindor Tower. The Fat Lady was out like a light, but I had to wake her to get it. I thought for a moment, before figuring out the best way to wake her. "Have you heard about the scandalous affair?" I whispered. The painting's eyes shot wide open, her ears perked.

"What? You must tell me everything at once!" she exclaimed. I took a deep breath, leaning forward. "Dragon pox." I muttered. The painting scowled. "Tell me about the affair." the Fat Lady demanded. "Let me in." I fired back. She sighed, swinging open. "Now tell me!" she inquired. "There is no affair." I whispered quietly. The painting grumbled as I entered the common room.

The scarlet and golden room felt familiar. The fire had long died out, leaving the space cloaked in darkness. However, I didn't mind it, seeing that it gave the chamber a sense of mystery. I glanced at the girls' dorms, knowing I wouldn't sleep at all if I was all by myself. As much as I hated to admit it, I needed someone beside me.

So up to the boys' dormitories I went.

The sleeping quarters were quiet, the only noise being my brother's snoring. I ignored the chainsaw-like noise, making my way towards the only person I knew I could wake up. Seamus Aodhan Finnigan.

I moved as quietly as I could, tiptoeing towards his bed. I almost tripped over several items. I cursed under my breath, wishing the boys had been a bit neater. Eventually, I got to Seamus's bed in one piece. I reached out my arm to shake him, but the Irish male shot up, frantically looking around. "It's just me." I whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Merlin's beard! Ya gave me quite te scare!" he hissed. "Sorry..." I mumbled, the tips of my ears turning red.

Seamus gestured for me to lie down. I took off my shoes and did as I was asked. "Where've you been? I couldn't find ya after Cedric's memorial." he said, looking at me worried. I placed my head on his shoulder, fiddling with the blankets. "I went to the Hufflepuff common room...talked with some of Cedric's friends...did lots and lots of crying." I muttered, laughing dryly.

"Are you okay now?" the Irish questioned. I scoffed. "Bad question." Seamus admitted. "Yeah..." I mumbled. "I just miss him...I felt like-like I could trust him with my entire world." I explained, looking into Seamus's pale blue eyes. He smiled sympathetically, wrapping his arms around me. "You'll be okay, redhead...you always are..." he mumbled, stroking my hair. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck, taking in the feeling of comfort.

"I'm lucky to have someone like you in my life." I whispered, closing my eyes. "No, Rowen, I'm lucky te have someone like YOU in me life." Seamus stated. "We're both lucky." I mumbled. "I'm luckier, because I have one of the strongest girls as me bes' mate." he argued. I smiled sleepily, taking a deep breath.

"You smell nice..." I murmured, opening my eyes. Seamus chuckled. "What do I smell like?" he wondered. "Like...like a summer's eve...and ginger root. With a hint of laundry detergent." I breathed out. "Thanks, I suppose?" he questioned. "You should thank me. I'm nice..." I purred, feeling sleep blur my senses. "You're tired...just te sleep." the Irish male. I nodded sleepily, yawning loudly.

I closed my eyes once again, focusing on his breathing pattern. "Thank you, Irish...for sticking with me..." I whispered. "Just go to sleep, redhead." he requested. I grinned sleepily, finally giving in to the tiredness that had bothered me for hours.

"I'm so lucky to have you..." I heard Seamus whisper before I fell into a deep slumber.