Stargazing

My favourite nights were clear, calm and empty. I'd sneak out around midnight to go down to the park, spread out a blanket, and lay there for hours just watching the infinite sky. Sometimes I'd see meteorites, streaking across my view as they burned up in the atmosphere. Sometimes, I convinced myself I saw aliens, messing around in their spacecraft to outmaneuver each other, in a display of peculiar loop de loops and other erratic spins, before zooming out of sight.

I'd never once thought to share my star scape with anyone. In fact, quite the opposite. I treasured the solitary time, where it was just me and the rest of infinity.
So I never did know what had prompted me to invite him along that first time, when I ran into him roaming the streets on my way to the park.
Maybe it was because he seemed so lost and utterly alone. Maybe I had wanted to show him how mistaken he was to believe himself alone.

We had walked to my spot in the park, and I had spread out my blanket like usual, only this time was not usual.
I had a companion to join me as I gazed into infinity.
I showed him the constellations, telling him stories for each one, and then we both marvelled over the alien craft he also witnessed.
The next night, he had been waiting for me. Sitting on a bench near the entrance to the park. He'd smiled awkwardly, confessing he wanted to hear more about the constellations.
I was actually kind of glad to have company. Maybe it's because he was so into what I was saying. Maybe it's because he was so quiet, it seemed as if I were still alone, only not in the same way. As if he were an imaginary friend I could talk to how I wanted.
He became a part of my nightly routine fairly quickly, a welcome addition to my time with infinity.

His eyes would sparkle deeply as he listened to my stories, my tidbits of information about each constellation, each star, staring into the sky as if the infinite universe began behind his mesmerizing pupils.
That's when I stopped talking.
I stopped staring into the infinite above, and started staring into it right next to me. It didn't take him long before he gazed back, and that instant was like the Big Bang.
I saw, as much as felt the blinding explosion, and it pulled me instinctively closer, as if drawn by gravity.
All we did was stare at each other, and the more I looked the more I felt the need to be nearer.
I only hesitated briefly, before acting on the urge to press my lips to his.
From that moment it quickly became less about the stars, and all about his warm lips in the brisk night air.

"I kinda regret kissing you that first time," I muse conversationally.
"...why?" He asks cautiously.
"Cause we haven't looked at the stars since." I smirk.
"Oh." He smiles bashfully, somewhat relieved.
"Well, its not like we HAVE to... uh. K-kiss..." he blushes. I lean in, hooking a hand around his waist to pull him closer. 
"Yeah, as if I could focus on anything else, while you sit here blinding me." I murmur, brushing my thumb across his cheek.
He exhales sharply, adorably stuttering over his words.
I kiss him. I can't help myself.
He sighs, relaxing into me, and I lose myself in his warmth yet again, on another perfect stargazing night.