Mistletoe

{A/N: Yay Christmas themed oneshot!
Quick intro: this is the first Christmas after they started 'fake dating' in season 19. The story of how they realized they didn't need to pretend 😁}

"You guys are coming to the Christmas dance right?? Ohmigod, you have to come! There's gonna be mistletoe and everyone can't wait to see you guys underneath it!!" Bebe titters excitedly, shoving festive pamphlets in each of our free hands.
The blood drains from my face.
We're gonna have to KISS in front of everybody?!??
"Craig," I hiss through gritted teeth, pulling him to the side.
"I don't want my first kiss to be fake!!" I confess fearfully. He blinks at me, as if he's not really sure I'm being serious.
"That's what your worried about??" He hisses back, casting his eyes about suspiciously.
"I'm more worried that we have to kiss in front of hundreds of people!" He says incredulously, a touch of fear shaking his usually steady voice.
"W-well obviously that goes without saying!!" I stammer, just as incredulous.
"Maybe... we should say we're having a fight or something, that way no one can say anything." He quickly suggests.
"Oh, yeah! That's a good idea! ...but, does that mean we can't hang out at the dance..?" He frowns, and his shoulders slump a little.
"Yeah, maybe... This is fucking stupid!"
"Yeah! It's like, I never even wanted to be an actor, and I'm not even getting paid!" I exclaim in frustration. Craig chuckles.
"Yeah, exactly. Good one."

Craig's sprawled out on my floor playing my new game, as I watch from my bed.
"Do we even have to go to the stupid dance??" I exclaim after a minute.
"I thought you wanted to go?" He says, not breaking his concentration on the game.
"...I did, but now... it seems like it's not even gonna be fun if everybody just wants to stare at us..." I sulk.
"Maybe we should just get it over with. It's not even that big a deal honestly." He says casually.
"I don't want my first kiss to be fake..." I say. He hesitates.
"What's the big deal about your first kiss anyway?? It's not even that great you know," he tells me.
"...what? You've already had your first kiss?!" I gape at the back of his head.
"Well, so?? It wasn't even that great! It was stupid, actually. I don't get why everyone makes such a big deal over first kisses." He flusteres, and his character on the screen dies. He sighs, pausing the game and flopping face down into the carpet.
"When?? Who??!" I press, flabbergasted. He scoffs in irritation.
"Red, okay? Happy??" He grumbles.
"Red, your cousin??"
"Do you know any other Reds?!?" He exclaims. My jaw snaps shut.
"It was stupid. She said all her friends have already kissed a boy and wouldn't let me go until I kissed her."
"Well.. no wonder you don't get all the fuss. Your first kiss was fake." I tell him. He flips over into a sitting position to glare at me.
"You have to kiss someone you actually like. You have to kiss someone you want to kiss, not just anyone to 'get it over with' or something!" I explain, feeling totally in the right after Craig's confession.
"So... one day I will. Then it'll be my actual first kiss." He says slowly, crossing his arms.
This throws me.
"What?" I ask. He sighs.
"Think about it. The chances that you don't somehow regret your first ever kiss are probably pretty small, right? So, it doesn't count until it matters. You could kiss a hundred people before you have your first real kiss." He tells me.
"It... it doesn't work like that!" I argue, but what he said does make a lot of sense.
Though, I'm never gonna admit it.
"Well, if it doesn't, then I guess both you, and I, will just have shitty, fake first kisses, and that's just how it is." He huffs, pivoting on his butt to turn his attention back to the game.
"Fine." I say quietly. He turns to look at me.
"What?"
"I said, fine. I'll just suck it up and have a fake first kiss. Everyone thinks I'm gay anyway, so it's not like I'll be able to have a proper first kiss anyway." I sulk. He snickers.
"Yeah dude. We're pretty much 'dating' till college I bet." He curls his fingers in the air to emphasize the word 'dating', and I glower at him.
"It's not funny." I mutter.
"Why? Do you like someone?"
"No, but now I won't even have the option to." I say bitterly.
"Who would you even like??" He questions, but in genuine curiosity, rather than scornfully.
"I don't know, maybe a cute girl will move here, and I'll like her." I say.
"So you don't think you can like any of the girls already here?" He asks.
"I don't know! I don't think about that yet!"
"Hmm, I don't like anyone either. I don't think I'll ever like them,"
"How do you know?" I ask, very curious as to how he seems so sure.
"I.. guess I don't know for sure, but it's weird when I imagine kissing any of them." He says thoughtfully.
Oh. I try the same thing, imagining myself kissing all the girls in school, and he's right. It is really weird.