Love Potion

[A/N: This was my contribution to The Book of Love: Volume 2 creek zine! Follow the blog for more artworks!!
@ https://thebookoflovezine.tumblr.com/
Enjoy!! (^-^) ]

"You're sure this will work...?" Prince Craig asks anxiously.
"Of course," the witch proclaims, puffing our her chest proudly as she brandishes the finished potion towards him. Craig is apprehensive, but he takes the vial from her.
"My payment, your Majesty," She demands, sparing only the smallest hint of royal respect for the King's son. Craig hesitates.
"And you'll speak of this to no one?" He confirms again, for the third time since entering her dwelling. The witch suppresses the urge to roll her eyes. In her opinion, this spoiled brat is going to great lengths in order to 'secretly' indulge his clearly obvious infatuation.
"Our secret." She swears, smiling reassuringly as Craig drops a heavy satchel of gold in her outstretched fingers. She tucks the satchel snugly under her robes and patiently clasps her hands together, gazing in amusement at the flustered prince still awkwardly fidgeting in her doorway.
"Will you be requiring anything else, Your Grace~?" She inquires, voice sweet as honey.
"...I..." Craig sputters, growing more nervous by the second.
"C-can you please explain how it works one more time?" He asks meekly, ducking his head in embarrassment. The witch only smiles.
"But of course... At the stroke of midnight, and not a moment before, you and your beloved must be alone together... Share this potion between your goblets, and after drinking to the very last drop, only a kiss will enact the effect you desire. The effects will last with the night, but... should you speak with passion, your heart's truth, the potion could prove everlasting... in so long as your words ring true and burn with all the fire in your beating heart." She declares, layering her voice with just a hint of magic for effect. Craig listens intently, hanging on her every word, wide eyes sparkling with determination. He bids the witch a hasty good evening, and hurries back to the palace, where anyone who's anyone is arriving to celebrate his own coming-of-age Grand Banquet.
The witch chuckles impishly, sweeping into her kitchen to procure a chalice.
"I thought you steered wary of dark magic," the raven chides from his perch overlooking the room. The witch spares him a glance as she settles into her favourite chair.
"I do," she says, dipping her goblet into the cauldron and filling it to the brim with potion. She takes a long drink from it before addressing her familiar once more.
"My favourite herbal tea blend is hardly cause for alarm, Edgar." She smirks with a wink. The raven cackles loudly, swooping down to help the witch count their gold.

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

Craig shifts impatiently in his chair at the royal table, nervously sloshing the remaining mead in his goblet down his throat.
He smiles graciously as the King praises him in the royal opening speech, but his attention is focused a few plates to his left, where the young Duke of Tweakshire is seated...

At long last, the political formalities of the banquet come to a close, and Craig snags two full goblets of mead before making his way towards where his childhood friend, the Duke of Tweakshire, converses politely with the Earl of Marshfield.
"Enjoying the festivities, friends?" Craig inquires cheerfully, offering the young Duke one of the goblets. The Earl raises his stein enthusiastically, already fairly intoxicated, and cheers his approval.
"Here's to many more!" He gushes, clinking his stein against his friends' goblets. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have promised the next dance to the Lady Wendy," he grins sloppily, sauntering off towards the dance hall.
"How do you fare, sire, after all that constitutional drudgery?" The Duke teases sympathetically. Craig smirks, rolling his eyes at his best friend's formality.
"Quite well, dear Duke. I fare quite fine indeed." He answers as regally as possible. They both snicker.
"Walk with me?" Craig requests, turning and leading the way out into the meticulously landscaped palace garden.
They stroll along the path in the comfortable silence shared by lifelong friends, admiring the lush greenery glistening under the light of the waning moon. The air hangs lightly, infused with the night-flowers' ambrosial scents wafting gently in the balmy breeze, creating an enchanting atmosphere around them as it mixes captivatingly with the peaceful, nocturnal cricket song.
They pause at Tweek's favourite bench, by the fountain, perfectly positioned to allow optimal views over the entirety of the garden and palace should you gaze to the left, and expansive panoramas of the ocean should you turn your gaze to the right.
"I shall be well entertained for the rest of my life, I expect, watching you tiptoe stiffly through a King's social obligations." Teases the young Duke, taking a languid sip of his goblet as he gazes fondly over the tranquil scenery. Craig smirks.
"I happen to be quite charming when I wish to be," he retaliates playfully, following Tweek's gaze.
Tweek chuckles, a wistful smile twisting at the corners of his lips. He takes another drink in order to conceal it.
He knew all too well just how charming the Prince could be when he wished it so.
He bites the inside of his cheek.