The Backrooms

[A/N: if you don't know 'the backrooms' please copy/paste this link for reference before reading knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-backrooms 😁

Also it's kinda dark and creepy so don't say I didn't warn you 🥲]

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It feels like we've been trapped here for eternity.

Our legs had crumbled beneath us from exhaustion long ago, abandoning the futile search for an exit, or at least some sort of a break from the insidious monotony of endless L-shaped rooms, bleeding into one another under the greasy, flickering buzz of the fluorescent lights overhead.
We lie defeated, clinging close together in attempt to preserve the last shred of sanity we share between us, propped up in this corner that's no different than the thousands we'd already walked around. My eyes refuse to close and I stare blankly at the mildew-peeling, impossible-to-date wall coverings that shroud the endless walls in patchy, water-stained, yellowing paper. The damp, rotting carpet underneath my outstretched legs seeps it's ichor into my jeans, but I don't care anymore.

My eyes shift blearily to where Tweek lays curled up against me, head resting heavily on my legs, quietly whimpering and stirring listlessly in his fitful sleep. I watch his features twitch and contort in increasingly agitated expressions of terror, the grimy surroundings only adding to the gaunt sallowness his face has taken on since we've been in here. A bead of sweat, or maybe a tear, streaks it's way down his cheek, and I absently wipe at my own face. My hoodie sleeve is absolutely filthy. The same mildew that's consuming the carpet and walls is eating away at my own clothes.
It's as if this place is slowly digesting us.
Suddenly, Tweek heaves in a gasping, shuddering breath that shatters through the monotonous buzz of fluorescents above, and he shoots up to his feet.
"RUN," He pleads hysterically, his sunken, red-rimmed eyes wide in frantic terror
"ITS COMING," he chokes out in delirious fear as he yanks me up by the arm. Before I could manage to ask what is coming, I heard it. A soft wheezing sigh that blends in and out of the incessant buzzing, followed by barely-distinguishable muffled thumps as, whatever this thing is, creeps closer to us. Tweek is running full sprint, dragging me behind him with a vice grip on my wrist.
"DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!" He screams back at at me, just as my head begins turning to glance behind us.
The tone of his voice immediately snaps my gaze forward again, but not before I catch a glimpse of long, spindly limbs, eagerly palpating their way around the closest corner behind us. My blood freezes in my veins.
We run.
.
.
.
.  .  . and run .  .  .
.
.
.
.
.  .  . and keep running .  .  .
.
.
.
.
.
I count the corners, solemnly keeping a mental tally of each one to keep from descending into complete madness, but Tweek is getting more and more unhinged. Somehow running faster and faster, his fingers dig painfully into my wrist, and his head swivels in all directions as he hurtles us, ever forward, in blind panic.
I strain my ears to try and catch that faint, breathy  wheezing, but it's no use over our loud panting.

Tweek starts to make these unsettling whimpering sounds inbetween breaths, like a noise you'd hear in the dead of night, and count your blessings that there's four solid walls between you and whatever nightmare-creature uttered such a sound.
The hair on my arms prickles upright all the way up to the back of my neck, and I'm about to call out to him when he stumbles over his own feet, crashing down onto the noxious carpet and pulling me with him.
He lays still for a moment, and in the stillness I strain my ears once more for the sound of that thing. Softer than before, but still there. Still gaining on us.
Silent sobs shake Tweek's gaunt frame as he lays curled up on the carpet next to me.
"Tweek... Tweek, come on, get up, we need to keep going," I say, ears still listening closely, trying to gauge how much time we have before it's upon us.
"Tweek, get up," I tug on his arm, but only manage to get him halfway up.
"We're never gonna get out... are we..." he wails softly, red-rimmed eyes boring into mine from darkened, sunken sockets.
"..." I can't think of what to say.
"...I don't want to live like this anymore." He says flatly, all the remaining light from his eyes gone, leaving them empty and dead, blending into the rotting background behind him as though he belongs here now. A cold shiver runs through me, filling me with dread. Only a single thought runs though my mind.