Spectre

03/2019

...we were supposed to fall in love... I can't have died if we were supposed to fall in love!!
The screaming thought echoes through my mind, or maybe it's not my mind anymore... maybe it's just empty dark maybe these aren't even my thoughts.
I start to let go of the whirling images and scenes, memories past and memories yet to be made...
A Christmas, far into the future, him and I are snuggled up together in front of a festive fireplace , opening gifts. He's holding a small, extravagantly wrapped box, teasing me for paying for such a wrap job on such a tiny present. I only smile along, waiting patiently for him to open it.
He takes his time, making a show of undoing the intricate bow, then peeling back the expensive wrapping paper, to reveal a tiny cardboard box. He looks up at me then, in amused confusion, and I urge him to open it, tapping the bottom to hint pushing up from there. He does so and his eyes widen as the top falls away to reveal a ring, his eyes snapping up to meet mine in confirmation, and I speak the four words that make up the question which goes with the ring. He's crying now, kissing me, and laughing at the same time... and the memory fades. Ripped out cruelly from before me. I scream, or try to but no sound comes out.
No. I can't be dead. I can't. I need this. I need him. I cant be dead. I need that Christmas where I ask him to marry me.
And suddenly the darkness all around me is replaced by light, and I find myself in an unfamiliar room.
A boy walks in, about 14 years old by the looks of him, shakily carrying a mug full of dark liquid.
I watch as he sets it down on the desk, and settles in to begin working on some sort of research.
"Hey." I call out to him.
Nothing.
"Hey!" I call out a little louder. Still no response. This time I get right up in his face so that there's no way he could ignore me. I brace my hand on the desk, but to my surprise it isn't met with any resistance, and falls right through, along with the rest of me.
What the fuck.
I actually am dead??
Then... this boy... is he the one I fall in love with?

[A/N: I'm definitely turning this into a longer fic, but for now have some angsty post-Christmas cause why not :P]