43. The Heart Want What it Wants

Joey headed back to the room and cried his heart out. The party started soon. An open stage had been set up and the crew members were honoured first with small mementos. Even this was Daniel's idea. They started to drink and dance as the music started playing. The sunset was gorgeous.

The crew started shouting for Joey to take the stage. All Joey wanted to do was drink and pass out. But, the team kept insisting for him to sing. Joey took the stage. His mind was quite blank. He did not know what to sing.

The orchestra fully expected Joey to sing the theme song of Escape the Night "Oh my God! Again and Again" and started playing the music.

Daniel came to the balcony to see the sunset. He saw the party. He spotted some familiar faces. He wondered what it was and came down the stairs. He saw the party from the first storey veranda. He saw the banner of Joey's team and Joey standing on the stage. Joey also saw him. Their eyes met.

Joey started to sing. Instead of singing the theme song, he started to sing one of Daniel's favourite Britney Spears melodies.

Notice me
Take my hand
Why are we
Strangers when
Our love is strong
Why carry on without me

Every time I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And every time I see
You in my dreams
I see your face
It's haunting me
I guess I need you baby

The orchestra was stunned. They stopped playing the music. Joey kept singing.

I make-believe
That you are here
It's the only way
That I see clear
What have I done
You seem to move on easy

Every time I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And every time I see
You in my dreams
I see your face
It's haunting me
I guess I need you baby

Joey sang with his heart and soul. He forgot where he was, his surroundings everything. All he could see was Daniel. He was talking in his own language to him. There was pin drop silence. Joey's silky voice matched the rustling waves and whirling wind. The crowd stood mesmerized.

Daniel saw it. He saw the lust in his lover's eyes. The yearning in his eyes. He wanted to run to him straight away. But, he stood captured by his voice. It took a few minutes for him to recover. He came to his senses only when the crowd broke the silence in loud applause.

"One more, one more...., again, again," the crowd went frenzy. Joey realized his situation now. He went with the beat. He started to sing "The heart want what it wants," with full gusto. 

The bed's getting cold and you're not here

The future that we hold is so unclear

But I'm not alive until you call

And I'll bet the odds against it all

Save your advice 'cause I won't hear

You might be right but I don't care

There's a million reasons why I should give you up

But the heart wants what it wants

The heart wants what it wants

You got me scattered in pieces

Shining like stars and screaming

Lighting me up like Venus

But then you disappear and make me wait

And every second's like torture