FORTY

"My little Aspen," Marie Blue had a small smile on her face.

Aspen was extremely confused. She didn't know what to say and her brain was having a difficult time processing everything that was happening. 

"Look how beautiful you are," he mother walked towards her and reached out to touch her face, but Aspen pulled back. 

It was almost scary how much the two looked alike. They had the same hair color, smile, and skin tone, and the only major difference were their eyes. Aspen had inherited the dominant trait of her fathers caramel colored irises, while her mother had cold, icy blue eyes that stared into your soul. The older woman was absolutely beautiful, and everyone would always say that Aspen got her good looks from her mom. 

Marie raised her eyebrows and pulled her hand back. "You know I've been looking for you for over a year now."

Aspen clenched her jaw and ignored her mother's words. "What's the hell is going on?" She snapped, wanting her mom to explain everything. 

The sweet smile on Marie's face faded away and a malicious expression paved it's way across it. She crouched down so she was face to face with her daughter and gave a smirk that could only be described as evil. 

"Us at Hydra lost a lot when we you left. You have so much potential, Hemlock." 

Aspen flinched at her words and allowed her eyes to fall shut. She didn't want to listen to anything her mom was saying.

"But now you're back." She smiled a venomous grin, "And all it took to get you here was a location sent from your father." 

The young Blue could feel tears pooling in her eyes. "I will never be apart of Hydra again." She said lowly, using the most even tone she could muster.

Her mom tilted her head and put on a fake sad face. "Oh, is that so?"

"What did you do to Aspen?" Peter's voice called out from the opposite side of the room. 

He noticed that Aspen was growing uncomfortable under her mother's stare so he made the impulsive decision to call out to her and put the attention on himself. 

Marie Blue turned and walked towards the center of the room. Her movements were careful and calculated, and she resembled a predator stalking its prey. 

"What did I do to her?" She repeated her tone full of poison and threat. 

"The serums you put inside of her, they allowed you to control her memories right? What all did you take away from her?" Peter reworded his question, his gaze cold and serious. 

Aspen had never seen the boy look so stiff. 

Chills ran down all of their spine as Marie Blue let out a slow, taunting laugh. 

The woman turned with the same sick smile on her face that she had before and made direct contact with Aspen, causing the girls stomach to twist.

"I took everything from her." 

Aspen began to shake under the woman's icy glare but tried to hide all emotion from her face, From her experience in Hydra, all emotion does is get you hurt, so if she allowed herself to break in front of the predator she called her mother, she didn't know what would happen to her. 

"What does that mean?" Tony spoke up, trying to get as much information out of the woman as possible. 

And apparently she was fine with giving them whatever they wanted to know. 

"What do you remember from your childhood, Aspen? Playing in rain puddles, going canoeing, camping; do you remember all of that?" 

Aspen stayed stiff, staring at her mother and not daring to open her mouth, for she was afraid that if she did she would lose control of her feelings.