FORTY THREE

"How do I open the cell?" Aspen asked her father, trying to get him out as fast as she could before the ceiling fell.

"You can't, only Marie can. She has a remote on her wrist that allows her to control the entire building." Stanley explained.

"Of course she does," Aspen mumbled under her breath, pressing her hands against the glass door of the cell. 

"I'm going to get you out of here, dad, I swear." She whispered, making eye contact with the man that she remembered as her father. 

She had no idea what he was really like. The man could be the complete opposite of what she was lead to believe; a neat freak, a strict man, a snob. But while she stared into his desperate eyes, she didn't care about any of that. Aspen had a father and he was standing right in front of her, that was all that mattered. 

"My beautiful, Penny. Look how much you've grown." Tears pooled in the man's eyes and he smiled a closed mouth smile at her. 

Even though he never really got to raise her, Stanley loved his daughter with all his heart. He took so many beatings and threats in order to keep her safe, and he reluctantly helped with every formula. He so badly wanted it all to end, and he thought about ending it on more than a few occasions, but ultimately he decided that it was safer for Aspen if he stayed and watched over her. 

Peter and Tony stood back, watching the two interact with smiles on their faces. If they could figure out a way to get the man out, their mission would be complete. Aspen would have her family back. 

The solution to the problem was Marie Blue. They needed to go back for her, take the remote and use it to free Stanley before the building fell.

That proved to be much more difficult than they thought it would when they turned and found the woman standing in the door way with her arms crossed over her chest and a heavy smirk on her face.

"I've got to say, i'm impressed." The woman's chilling voice rang out and none of them moved a muscle.

"Those were some of my best soldier back there and you took them down rather easily." They all watched in horror as soldiers came into view from behind the tall woman. 

"These guys, however, are much more skilled." She let out a small smirk and looked directly into Aspen's eyes.

Peter and Tony shared a look before charging forward and making their way to the agents in the hall, hoping that they could take them down in time. More and more pieces of concrete fell fro the ceiling as they started to fight, and Aspen grew worried that they wouldn't make it in time.

"Stanley, dear, how are you doing?" Marie asked, stepping into the room that now only held the Blue family. 

The man didn't say anything. He just glared at the woman with a clenched jaw and blazing eyes.

"Look at us! The family is all here!" Marie said, turning her stare back to Aspen's. "Isn't this what you wanted, sweetheart? You came all this way hoping to free our parents from Hydra, but instead you found this." The woman laughed again, and Aspen had never want to hurt someone more in her entire life. 

"Shut the hell up." Aspen said through gritted teeth.

Marie put a hand over her heart and dropped her jaw dramatically. "Now that is no way to speak to your mother young lady!" 

Aspen felt anger bubble inside her and a powerful feeling flow throughout her body. She knew her eyes were glowing by the way the woman's face lit up.

"You are not my mother." She said lowly, but the woman ignored her, stepping forward with her hands clasped together.

"There she is!" She whispered out, a gleeful smile on her face. "Don't fight it, Hemlock! Let the power course through your veins and become what you were made to be: a soldier."