eight · tragedy strikes

tragedy strikes

When I got home I showered and changed into some comfortable pajamas. I fixed my oxygen tank near my bed and drifted off to sleep. I awoken by my phone repeatedly vibrating. I pick it up and look at it.

18 messages from Lucas

It must be really important if he's doing this at 4:32 in the morning. I dial his number and it rang three times before he answered.

‟Maya.. I need your help. Please” He cried into the phone taking a deep breath

‟Lucas. Lucas. Calm down tell me what happened.”

I say as his breathing calms a little over the phone. I can still hear that he was crying.

‟Kaelynn passed away” He said as he kept crying

‟Oh, God” I gasped as I pulled the blanket off of me ‟Tell me where you are. I'll come get you” I say pulling on my sweater still in my pajamas.

‟I'm still at the hospital. Maya hurry please”

He begs as he began to cry. I scribbled on a piece of paper to explain my absence to my parents. I grabbed my keys off the rack and went quickly as I can into the car.

I can drive my parents just hate me to do it. It began to rain and I turned on the windshield wipers as I noticed the bright sign that read 'Hospital' in big bold letters

I parked the car and ran into the hospital. Lucas sat in the waiting room with his head in his hands.

‟Lucas..” I spoke softly and he stands up and immediately I pull him into a hug. He cried unto my shoulder. I felt a tear slip from my eyes as he held unto me.

‟Lucas, I'm so sorry” I whispered not letting go of him.

‟Why did it have to be her?” He whispered as he continued to cry on my shoulder.

‟It’s gonna be okay” I reassure him and he pulls out of my grip, placing his hands on my waist.

‟How can you be so sure?” He asked me

‟Life goes on, Lucas. You are gonna miss her but, things happen for a reason” I replied to him and he pulled me back into a hug.

His parents had work so, they begged me to stay with him. They wasn’t crying like Lucas was. I decided to approach them before we left the hospital. I folded my arms

‟Um, are you okay?” I asked them rocking on the heels of my feet

‟We are fine.” His mother answered with a slight smile

‟What about Kaelynn?” I asked them a tad bit confused

‟We know that it was time for her to go home. God took her home today because he knew that she would only be in agonizing pain” His father explained

‟Oh. Well, have my condolences.” I say as we all began to walk to the exit of the hospital. I tugged on my oxygen tank and rolled it until we reached to the car.

His parents dropped us off at their house and I sat with Lucas on the couch

‟Do you want something to eat?” I asked him. He nod his head no and he rests his head on my shoulder. I place my hand on his head.

‟You’re gonna be alright” I say to him and he raises his head up and looks at me

‟Can you sing a song or something?” He asked me looking straight into my eyes.

‟Okay.” I agreed and I began to sing 'Be Alright' by Justin Bieber. I figured it was a perfect song for me to sing to him at this point.

I finished the song and he was staring at me surprised.

‟You have a beautiful voice” He says with a small smile

‟Thank you, Lucas.”

He gets up and I lay unto the couch. He places his head on my lap and puts his feet up on the remainder of the couch. I continued to sing to him.