twenty - two · last

last moments

A week later, Lucas, Riley, Farkle, Zay and Isadora all gathered at the hospital. Maya felt like giving up. She told Lucas this over and over.

"Lucas. I don't wanna be this person anymore." Maya said crying

"What do you mean?" He asked as tears slipped his girlfriend's eyes and his

"Taking these medications. In constant pain. I don't want to do this. It hurts!" Maya added as Lucas cried with her

"I love you so much, Maya." He replied kissing her over and over as she kissed him back. They kissed for a while before pulling away from each other.

"I want you here Maya" He said placing his forehead on hers

Maya didn't answer. They just cried for a few minutes. Maya held unto Lucas not wanting to let go of him. Everyone else just watched on.

⟅ k.h ⟆

Later that day, Maya was in excruciating pain.

"Mom." Was all Maya said while Shawn, Amaya and I all stood at the edge of her bed. Maya's grip was tight on the sheets beneath her. Her lips were parted, but teeth clenched tightly together.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

She flatlined. Her body was becoming stiff and cold. They had to pry her hands from the sheets. She was really gone. That beep rang in my ears for hours and that night I dreamt about her.

"Maya..." Was all I could get out, in a weak voice

"I'm sorry mama. The pain was unbearable. I tried to fight but, I just couldn't wake up" She said crying. Katy stood about nine feet away from her daughter whom she was speaking to. "I love you." She said

"I love you too" I cried hard and I was about to run towards her but she disappeared into the light. I woke up hyperventilating.

"Are you okay? I heard you groaning in your sleep.." Shawn asked me

I huffed and he pulled me into a hug. "Don't worry. It'll be fine" He says kissing my lips. Amaya began to cry. I got her and brought her in the room where we were. She looked so much like Maya when she was her age. Dazzling blue eyes and fuzzy blonde hair. I cradled Amaya close to my chest as she drifted off back into slumber.

It was one day after Maya's death. We were convinced she was playing with Amaya. Everytime Amaya crawled over to Maya's room where the door was left open she would sit there and giggle. Then crawl away. Over and over.

I watched on and I just cried. Praying that the hospital would call and tell me her heart started beating again.