eighteen · baby hunter

baby hunter

It has been about eight months later, I was awoken by my dad shaking me.

"Maya! Maya! Wake up" He said frantically "Wake up"

"Huh?" I said confused

"Your mom is in labor. C'mon get ready and help me get all the bags into the car." He said and I get up. I felt better, the stitches had healed and I just got two scars on both my sides.

I pulled on a hoodie over my tank top and pulled on some sweats. I walked over to the room and picked up one of the bags. I passed their bedroom and my mom was sitting at the edge of the bed cradling her baby bump.

Once I had packed the bag into the car. I grabbed the carseat from the door and snapped it in place in the car.

Dad was driving quickly. It was about time my mom went into labor. She was already forty-one weeks pregnant. She decided to leave the gender a surprise until delivery.

I watched my mother exhale through mouth and took in sharp inhales through her nostrils.

"Hang in there mom" I say with a hand on her thigh. She turned to me and gave me a light smile

We got to the hospital and I watched as doctors rushed to my mom and put her in a wheelchair. They took her into an elevator and allowed us to step inside.

A few hours later, my mother seemed calm. She got an epidural so, she's more relaxed. I drifted off back into slumber until I wake up to nurses around my mom.

"Okay, I need you to get ready to push" One of them said. It was already morning. I checked my phone and it was 1:32 P.M. I guess this baby is desperate to meet the world. Her water just broke at about 2:12 A.M.

"Dad come and hold this leg up for me please?" A nurse asked my dad who was holding the camera. He passed the camera to me and I recorded the birth of Baby Hunter.

My mother pushed a few times and I began to see the head. I began to tear up.

"Okay. Perfect we can see your baby's head" The doctor who was delivering the baby encouraged my mother

The head came out and I gasped. My hand flew to my mouth as I began to cry. They suctioned the baby and I heard gurgles. One more push and the baby came out. Immediately they placed her on my mother's chest. I wiped my eyes.

A nurse checked and announced, "It's a girl!" She yelled and I was crying

"Oh my God." I said as I turned the camera toward the nurses who were moving the baby over to an incubator.

"Mom" I cried as she looked at me exhausted. After she was finished, they handed my mom the swaddled baby. She was so pale and beautiful.

"Mom, I love her already. What are you naming her?" I asked her

"Amaya. Amaya Grace Hunter."