Chapter 3

Chip's P.O.V

"Come on Nick, let's go." Trent and I been trying to persuade Nick to come to the lake with us.

"Ok fine, why is it you guys are always ganging up on me? Also, Chip, care to share what you are to the shy girl?" I hold my temper in. I have no idea what is wrong with me. A girl has never affected me like a certain shy girl has.

"She's nothing."

"Sure Chip." We load up into my truck and drive towards the lake with the windows rolled down when we hear a scream. I look to my friends and they nod in agreement, before driving towards the sound. I turn the lights and truck off and hear another scream. Nick grabs a gun from out of the glove box and hides it in the waistband of his jeans before getting out and we follow his lead. There are two guys, one has the girl around her leg, and she looks knocked out. 

"Hey!" The two guys stop dragging the girl and look up at the three of us. 

"Want to join the fun?" The one guy says smiling, showing his rotten teeth.

"No. In fact, we want you to leave the lady alone."

"Nah, sorry can't do that." The guy pulls out a gun and Nick pulls the gun from the waistband, pulls the trigger, the sound of a gunshot being fired as the bullet hits the mark. The guy goes down and the other guy sprints towards me and I start fighting him, when I see something shiny as it comes down on me.

"Chip!" Nick yells and I launch myself to the side as another gunshot is fired. The guy falls down onto the ground and Trent helps me up.

"Bro, you okay?" I am just about to reply when we hear a sound. We turn around and see the girl with wide eyes, looking at the guys on the ground then back to us. We start walking towards her when she stares at the gun in Nick's hand.

"Please don't hurt me." She whispers and that voice sounds familiar. I glare at Nick.

"Dammit Nick, put the gun away. You're scaring the lady." He swears then puts the gun away. I kneel down in front of her. "Love, you're safe now." 

"C-Chip?" She whispers and reaches up to her head and I notice that she has an injury on her head, but is tricky to see since it's almost nighttime.

"That's me, love." I say, "come on, let's get you home. I have a first aid kit in the truck that we can use to clean you up a bit." She nods and tries to stand up, but falls over. I grab her around the waist and her eyes are pleading with me. I recognize those eyes from earlier that day, when someone pushed her and all her stuff went flying. We walk slowly to the truck and Nick opens up the passenger side door and we help her into the seat. Trent brings over the first aid kit that he retrieved from the driver's side door and a blanket from the backseat. He hands me the first aid kit while he wraps the blanket around her shoulders. "Noelle, what are you doing out here?"

"I was listening to music and then suddenly they jumped me in a way before dragging me into the alley." She wraps the blanket around her and shivers. I hold out my arms to signal to her if I can keep her warm. She nods and makes enough room for me. I slide up and wrap my arms around her while Nick and Trent help to clean the wound on her head. "Chip, I'm scared. What if this happens again?" I tighten my hold on her.

"Nothing is going to happen to you, Love. Not on my watch." I whisper and she looks at me, her hazel eyes hiding a story. Her eyes start to close and I reposition myself so her head can lay on my shoulder. 

"Are you sure you're not whipped or anything?" Trent asks me while he and Nick clean up the garbage from the kit.

"I really hope not." I whisper. I toss Nick the keys to my truck then realize we don't know where she lives. I look out into the alley and see a phone laying on the ground. I hop out after making sure Noelle is safe before putting the seat belt on her and shutting the door. I grab the phone and look to see it needs her fingerprint. I put her finger on the home key and it unlocks, scrolling through her contacts until I see the name Danny. Some foreign feeling sends a shock through my heart.

What if that's her boyfriend?

I ignore the thought and find her contact for her dad. I hit the call button and signal for Nick to pass me my keys. He complies and I hop into the driver seat, making sure my two best friends are in the back, ready to go.

"Noelle? Cupcake is that you?" Her dad says through the phone. 

Aw crap, this was a bad idea. I could always take her back to my house.

You're an idiot, you need space from her.

"Uh hi, this is Chip. I go to school with Noelle." I try to keep the confidence in my voice without shaking.

"Hello Chip. Say, what are you doing with my daughters' phone?" Oh crap, he doesn't sound very happy.

"Noelle tripped and fell, but I was wondering if I can get your address so I can get her home safe." 

"Oh of course. The address is 5643 Glendale Ct."

"Great. Thank you so much sir." I say as I start the truck and put the address into the GPS.

"Just get my daughter home safe, or there will be trouble." He hangs up and I stare at the phone, shaking. Now keep in mind, I'm the class clown, which means nothing scares me, but an angry father armed with a .22 rifle kinda scares me.

"Dude, you look like you saw a ghost."

"More like her father is the ghost." We drive to the address and park the truck. I hop out and rush to Noelle's side to open the door. Nick grabs her phone from my hand to put into her backpack along with her earbuds, I tuck one arm under her knees and another behind her back, cradling her to my chest, while Trent shuts the door, takes the blanket off Noelle, and follows us to the door. Nick goes to knock on the door when the door suddenly opens and a guy, about 23 looks at us with a murdering face.

"Uh hi, I'm Chip. Is Mr. Aguiar here?" I say, smoothly.

"Yes, but you can deal with me." He looks down at Noelle sleeping in my arms.