Chapter 11

Noelle's P.O.V  

Why would he pick me to be his girlfriend? I'm not like the cheerleaders who have the confidence and the good looks. I look like the average person who is simply quirky, doesn't wear the latest fashions, and basically dress the same.

I'm sitting on the window seat, leaning my head against the window, watching the rain. The typical inner thought that runs around in my mind.

"Why does it seem that everything hates me?" I whisper into the window. 

"Little sis, what's wrong?" I jump at the voice coming from the doorway. I look to see Danny and I smile, waving him in. I move the blanket that was wrapped around my body to maneuver myself into a sitting position. He comes to sit down next to me. 

"I feel like I'm making the worst possible decision being in a relationship with Caden, but he's been my best friend for years. Him and I went to lunch together yesterday and the waitress kept giving me snarky looks and would purposely try to flirt with Caden in front of me." I say, leaning my head on Danny's shoulders.

"Well for starters, what did he do?"

"He tried telling the lady to stop flirting with him, but I have no idea what she did after that. We ended up leaving." My phone starts ringing with Caden's caller ID on the screen. I reach for it as Danny leaves the room.

"Hello?"

"Hey beautiful. How is my lovely girlfriend?" He says into the phone and I smile, but a gut feeling runs through my stomach.

"I'm fine, but watching the rain outside from my window." 

"Come on downstairs. Noah, Brooklyn and I want to spend the day with you." I contemplate the idea and agree to it.

"Sure. Let me grab my things and i'll meet you downstairs."

"Okay. Love you beautiful." 

"Love you too." I say as I hang up the phone. I feel like everyone doesn't trust me and I just want to actually have a normal life, not have my brother always having to cover my ass in case something happens. I put my shoes and jacket on, then grab my purse to head downstairs. Noah, Brooklyn and Caden are all downstairs chatting with my parents.

"I still can't believe that." My mother states. I came into the conversation not knowing the topic. 

"Hey guys." I say and my friends turn around and smile at me, Caden coming over to give me a hug.  

"Hi beautiful." He whispers in my ear, then kissing my cheek. He wraps his hand around mine as the four of us make our way towards the door. 

"Love you mom and dad." I say as we walk out the door. 

"Hey, what about your brother?" Danny yells. I smile and turn to face him.

"Oh how can I forget about my loveable brother who always has my back." I smirk and he glares at me. "Love you Danny."

"Love you too shortcake." I wave as the four of us walk towards the truck sitting by the curb. Caden opens the passenger side door for me and I hop into the seat. He shuts the door and walks around to the driver side while Brooklyn and Noah hop in the backseat.

"What's the plan for today?" I ask, looking at the clock that read 10:30am.

"Wanna hit the mall then get Panera after for lunch?" Brooklyn suggests as Caden starts the truck and we pull away from the curb. I look in the mirror to see Chip's truck pull up to the house. Nick and Trent are with him and Chip looks towards our truck with a pained expression, mixed with sadness and anger.

"Noelle, what are you thinking?" Caden asks. I snap out of my trance and look towards him. Country music plays from the speakers, but I can't ignore a nagging feeling I have about this situation. My phone vibrates in my bag and I pull it out to see a text from Chip.

Chip: Was that Caden's truck I saw you in?

Me: Yes, it was. I didn't know I belonged to you.

Chip: Love, no need to get snarky at me.

Me: I know and I'm sorry. I just have an instinct on this situation. 

I consider deleting the message, but then decide against it because he's someone who I feel connected to, like I can trust him. 

Chip: What's it telling you?

Me: It's telling me that I need to be on my guard, but these are my three best friends, who sadly are being incredibly shady.

Chip: If you need me, call me, day or night, i'm here for you.

I smile at that.

Me: Thanks Chip.

I put my phone away before Caden can see my face and start asking questions on who I'm talking to. We arrive at the mall and we set out to hit the stores. Hopefully, with this distraction, I can finally get a break. We walk past rue 21 and I stop, the group follows suit.

"Guys, I want to look in here. I won't be long." I say, glancing their way.

"Okay. Noah and I will go to JCPenneys  and we'll meet back in the sitting area?" Brooklyn adds.

"Sure. I'll be here." Caden says, making his way towards an empty chair. We go our separate ways and I sneak into Rue 21, but not to shop, but rather to keep an eye on Caden. It's not that I don't trust him, it's more as a way to get rid of my nagging feeling that's been living in my gut for some time now. 

"Hey Noelle." I jump and turn around to see Chip, Nick and Trent.

"Geezus christ Chip." I whisper, trying to calm my beating heart. 

"Love, what are you doing?" Chip asks. I look towards Caden and I see a girl next to him and look like they are having a conversation. I can't be the snarky girlfriend who always wants to know who her boyfriend is talking to.

"I'm just trying to rest my instinct I have." I turn away from the window and start walking around the store. My eye lands on this super cute black mid-length dress and I immediately grab it to look it over.

"Woo hoo." I hear a low whistle behind me and I remember, Chip is still here. I turn to face him with a glare of mine.

"Don't you go getting any ideas mister." He steps back with his hands up and I continue looking at the dress. I check the tag and it's on sale for $12. I smile at the deal and make sure to find the dress in my size, then continue walking around to the shoes and find this adorable black strappy heels for $11. 

Holy smokes, what a deal I'm finding.

I gather the two items and head towards the register. The store wasn't too terribly busy, so it was easy to get in and out of the store. I leave with my stuff in hand and I walk towards where the agreed meeting spot was. Caden sees me and stands up.

"Hey beautiful." He says, once I got close to him. He wraps his arms around me and kisses me on my forehead.

"Hi." I say, sitting down in a nearby chair. 

"Noelle, Caden, are you guys ready for lunch?" Brooklyn says as her and Noah come up to us. We nod in agreement and we make our way towards Panera after I drop off my bag in the truck.