Chapter 26

Noelle's P.O.V  

"How did you get my number, Scott?" Somehow, courage appears in my voice and then he chuckles. 

"My dear, I've always been impressed with how well you remember voices." 

"You didn't answer my question." 

"A little birdie gave it to me." 

Damnit Caden.

"Caden. Wow, I didn't think you were the type to hang out with a loser like him." 

"Better watch yourself missy, don't want something to happen to your family, do you?" The threat rings in my head.

'He's trying to get into your head.' 

"What do you want?"

"I want you to meet me at the cafe a block down from your house in an hour." 

"Holy shit, you stalker." 

"Now now." 

"Okay fine. I'll meet you there in an hour." 

"And come alone." Scott hangs up and I throw my phone down on the bed. 

"What's wrong?" Chip asks.

"I have to meet him in an hour at the cafe a block down from here, alone." 

"Now, i'm curious how Scott and Emily play into this." Oliver says, taking off his glasses and then rubbing his eyes.

"Maybe Scott and Emily were dating when it happened, but she's been out to get me since forever." I say, looking at Oliver. "Do you remember what the house looked like?"

"Yeah actually, I can do one better." He pulls out his phone and scrolls through it until he stops and shows me a picture. It has the picture of the house and then I look closer to see Caden with his arm around a girl who is strikingly gorgeous. She has long blonde hair that was in curls across her shoulders. Her stunning blue eyes show happiness and she's snuggled into Caden's side. Brooklyn and Noah are on the other side of her, each smiling into the camera. 

"Holy crap. That's Caden's house. When was the picture taken?"

"The night of her murder. May 26th." Oliver says and suddenly, the blood drains from my face. Chip holds me to make sure I don't hit my head.

"What's wrong love?"

"I was there two days after."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 years ago

Danny was able to drive the four of us over to Caden's house. 

"Call me when you are ready to come home." Danny says, leaning down to kiss me on the head. 

"Okay. Love ya big brother." I giggle as his face turns sour and then sticks his tongue out at me. 

"Okay little runt."  He laughs as he gets into the driver side of his truck.

"Well played." He pulls away and I turn to my friends as we walk inside Caden's house. There's a chandelier above our heads and a staircase you would find in the Christmas princess movies where the girl makes a dramatic entrance down the stairs. The kitchen is to the left of us while the living room is straight ahead.

"Make yourselves at home." Caden says as he walks upstairs and we're left looking around. I walk to the back door and look out at the landscape when I see something interesting behind some trees. I look around to make sure no one is around and I quietly step forward through the door, shut it and then walk over to where I found the interesting thing. Fresh dirt has been moved and in somewhat of a hill. I know my best friends shoe sizes and for some reason, there's a sinking feeling in my stomach.

'What are they hiding from me?'

"Hey Belle, what are you doing?" Caden asks from the front porch. I jump and calm my racing heart before I step out from behind the trees and look at him. From what I can see, there's a facial expression of anger across his face.

"I was enjoying the gorgeous backyard." I say, really hoping he buys. He nods, but I can tell he doesn't buy it. I follow him up the steps and into the house where Brooklyn and Noah are standing in the living room and they all share one look.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They left a week after that." I sigh as Danny wraps his arm around me.

"I'm sorry sis." He says. 

"We need to go to the cops." Everyone nods in agreement as I grab my shoes and phone. Oliver stays behind once everyone leaves the room. 

"Thank you Noelle." He says and I turn to face him. 

"Their my friends, but murdering someone is wrong." I say, giving Oliver a hug. We walk downstairs and the group is standing by the door, talking. Chip is the first one to look at him and there's plenty of emotions that cross his face, one most likely jealous. I walk over to him and slip my hand into his, giving it a squeeze, which he returns. We walk outside to the cars and I look down at my watch to find I only have five minutes to get to the diner. "uh guys?" They stop and look at me.

"What is it Noelle?" Chip asks.

"I'm supposed to be at the diner in a few minutes." Danny stiffens next to me and so does Chip.

"They know everyone's faces don't they?" Danny asks and then looks at Oliver. "Do they know you?"

"We only met once and that was because of my sister, but I need to go to the station to get them convicted." He replies. 

"Chip can't go with me, what about Nick and Trent?"

"That could work. You guys can walk in and then be surprised to see me." I get a sinking feeling in my stomach. I wouldn't put it past them to kidnap me, that's what scares me. 

"Noelle, what are you thinking?" Oliver asks me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"They could kidnap me." Chip pulls out a little device and then asks for my watch. I give it to him, unsure what he's going to do. He pops off the back and then fiddles with the device before putting the back on and giving it to me. I look at him skeptically.

"What did you do?"

"It's both a tracking device and a mic. It's undetectable if they scan you for bugs." Chip says.

"No, like how in the hell did you figure out how to do that?" I say, still gawking at him.

"It's a skill I learned." I reach up, grab his face, and kiss him on the lips.

"Damn, that skill might save my life." I pull back, smiling and he returns it, wrapping an arm around my waist as I put my watch back on. "Now, let's go kick some tail."