Chapter 31

Chip's P.O.V

Damnit. I was about to tell Noelle that I love her and then she flat-lines. We were pushed outside the room while she was rolled back into surgery.

"Hey, man she's gonna be okay." Nick says after an hour of waiting. 

"It's just that it's such an opportune moment that she goes into cardiac arrest after that officer shows up." I bolt up, almost knocking Nick off balance. "What if that detective poisoned her!" Danny shoves me back down in my seat and then hits me behind on the back of the head.

"Get your crap together. I'll have them run a drug test just to be sure, okay?" Danny says just as the doctor comes back out to greet us. 

"She's stable, but she suffered a heart attack, which is odd since there was no damage to her heart." The doctor says. I jump up and leap forward but Danny and Nick hold me back while Oliver talks.

"Is it possible she could have been poisoned?"

"The current state is that she's a healthy young lady with no history of heart problems. Let me go run the test and be sure and I'll get back to you on that." Oliver nods and the doctor goes back in through the doors.

"She's gonna be okay, I promise." Oliver says. 

The doctor comes back about an hour later with papers in his hands. "I have the results and you were right. Someone tried to poison her." Red surrounds my vision at the man who dared to take away a life from me. Danny holds me down.

"Let's go pay a visit to Detective Ramirez." Danny states and I nod in agreement. Oliver and I go out towards my truck when Oliver pulls me aside.

"He was asking her questions and charming the pants off her. He gave her his card and told her that they'll have a search warrant for my sister's body once she wakes up. He seems legit, but he didn't question me and then he also had a partner who was standing guard near the door." 

"But you didn't see him poison Noelle?"

"No, sadly. I don't trust him though." I hop into the front seat while Oliver gets into the passenger seat and we drive off towards the police station. We pull up in front of the station and we walk inside to the desk.

"Can I help you?" The desk sergeant asks and we turn towards the officer.

"Hi. Is Detective Carter Ramirez available?" Oliver takes the initiative as I try so hard not to break someone's nose. 

"Yes he is. I'll call him down." Oliver thanks the sergeant and leads me towards a chair in the corner before shoving me down onto a chair.

"What the hell? Hold it together." He snarls at me, crossing his arms across his chest. 

"Can I help you?" Detective Ramirez appears, standing in his 6ft glory, mimicking Oliver's stance.

"Hi. You remember us?" Oliver says. The look of recognition crosses Carter's face and he leads us to his office. 

"What can I do for you Oliver and Chip?" He shuts the door. Oliver and I look at each other and he discreetly walks over to the windows and closes them. "What the hell?" He says as I shove him against the wall, with a death look in my eye.

"What did you do to Noelle?" I snarl and Carter starts laughing.

"What makes you think I did anything to her?" He snarls back, "besides charming the pants off her, which by the way, she seemed pretty interested." I shove him against the wall again.

"You are a disgrace to the blue. You poisoned Noelle because you were bought off by Caden." He stops resisting and a look crosses his face.

"What are you talking about?" He looks shocked. "Me poison Noelle? That girl has been in the wrong place at the wrong time." Oliver looks at me and I let Carter go, coughing a bit before standing straight up and then moving to his chair while Oliver and I follow suit. He pulls a file out of his desk and then gives it to us. "I was the cop who was assisting with Oliver's sister's murder case. We weren't sure if someone was gonna try to come after her again. I also swear on my partners life that I didn't hurt her. In fact, she's our only witness on the case." I skim over the file and sure enough, both her and Oliver are listed as witnesses, one to the murder and one to the temper of Caden. "Here let me call my partner in." He gets on the phone and then a minute later, another man opens the door to peek his head through.

"You called Carter?" He asks. Carter nods and stands up, us following suit. 

"Chip, Oliver, this is my partner Jake." Carter says, making the introductions. 

"Nice to meet you." He says, shaking our hands.

"Likewise." I reply.

"These gentleman came here thinking I poisoned Noelle." 

"Poisoned? I'll get an officer outside her door to stand guard." Jake turns to leave and then stops, turning to face Oliver. "Your sister. Is this what this whole thing is surrounding?" 

"Sadly yes. My sister was murdered five years ago. Two days later, Noelle found the body, except Caden called her name before she could truly figure out what it was." 

"We need to keep her safe, at all costs." Carter states and we all agree when my phone starts ringing. I excuse myself out of the room and find that it's Nick.

"Hey man, any news?"

"Yes. She's been out of surgery and she's asking for you and Oliver." Happiness flies through my body and I thank him before walking back into the room.

"Noelle's out of surgery and she's asking for us." I say to Oliver and he nods before shaking hands with the two detectives.

"Thank you Jake and Carter. You don't know much I'm happy that you two are on my sister's case and also Noelle's." Oliver says.

"No worries, just doing our job." He replies as I shake their hand and then after assuring them that Noelle will do her thing, we leave for the hospital.