Chapter 16

Noelle's P.O.V  

"So let me get this straight, you had a falling out with your best friends?" Danny asks me at the dinner table. Mom and dad are at one end of the table while my brother and I are at the other end. The table isn't very big, which sometimes leads to my parents knowing my business. 

"Your friends since forever?" Mom asks me. I sigh and put my head in my hands, groaning. 

"Mom, I don't really want to relive it again." I finish my meal and excuse myself from the table, taking my plate into the kitchen. Thankfully, i'm away from the table so I put my hands on the sink and lean my head down, taking deep breaths.

"Honey, what is wrong with her and Caden? I thought they were going to be the perfect couple. He even has money." I perk up at that and listen for Danny to chime in.

"Mom, this is Noelle, she's shy and has gone through a lot of crap. How can you place such big expectations on her?" Danny replies, standing up for me. I hear the chair slide back on the ground and a plate being scraped across the table as Danny stands up and makes his way into the kitchen. 

"Danny, do you mean that?" I whisper as he goes over to the sink and I move out of the way. 

"Noelle, I meant it. You're my sister and i'm supposed to look out for you." I smile and I wrap my arms around his waist, laying my head on his chest.

"How did I get so lucky to have a brother like you?" I whisper and he chuckles, returning the gesture. We stay in each other's arms until the doorbell rings. My mom gets up to answer the door.

"Oh Caden!" I perk up and look at Danny who has the same gesture on his face as I do.

"Hi Ellen." Caden greets, pulling my mom into a hug. I pull Danny down by his shirt so I can whisper in his ear.

"He's got mom and dad wrapped around his finger." Danny agrees and then the look he gets when he gets a brilliant idea. 

"Act like you passed out." I look at him with wide eyes, but he pleads with me silently. I grab a utensil and pass out, dropping the item in my hand. "Noelle." He says, "Come on little sis, i'll take you upstairs." I feel his arms slide under my arm and the back of my knees, cradling me to his chest with me leaning my head on his shoulder.

"What happened?" Caden says all worried and I hear movement coming towards me but Danny moves me away from Caden.

"She's gonna be okay. She does this sometimes. I'm gonna take her upstairs." Danny moves up the stairs and once we get into my room, he lays me down on my bed and moves over to shut the door. 

"That was close." I whisper and he nods in agreement.

"Definitely." He sits down next to me and I look up at the ceiling. Some people may think this is weird, but Danny is the only true rock in my life. He's been there for me and plus will always protect me. "I should let you get some sleep so no one thinks that we're coming up with a scheme." He chuckles and I smile, reaching over to give him a hug.

"Thanks." He nods after returning the gesture, heads towards the door, opens it and then shuts it. I fall backwards on my pillow, too many emotions floating through my head when my phone vibrates in my pocket. 

Chip: Hey

I smile.

Me: Hi 

Chip: How's your day?

Me: Wish I could say it was good but sadly it wasn't what I had planned for the day.

Chip: Wanna talk about it?

Me: It's just why I feel like my parents are going against me because they want me to date Caden. 

Chip: Look outside your window.

I hop off the bed and quietly race towards the window, looking around when I see a figure that looks like Chip. He looks up and I smile, waving.

Me: You're good, but not that good.

Chip: Haha. Wanna go for a drive?

Me: How would I get down?

Chip: Either climb out of the window or get Danny to distract your family and Caden and sneak out the back door. My trucks parked in the alley. 

Me: Okay. Let me text Danny.

I pull up the contact messages for Danny.

Me: I need a favor

Danny: Anything. 

Me: Can you distract mom and dad and Caden for me? I need to sneak out the back door because i'm going to hang out with Chip.

I hear someone coming up the stairs and I leap back into my bed, hoping that it's not my parents or Caden for that matter. The door opens and it's Danny.

"What is this about hanging out with Chip?" I couldn't tell if he was livid, but he didn't seem happy though.

"Danny, he makes me happy , and that alone scares me. I don't want a relationship like Caden and I." Someone knocks on the door.

"Noelle, open up." The voice travels through the room, making me jump. 

"Who is it?" I say.

"Caden." I look to Danny and he promises he won't say anything. I thank him silently and make my way towards the door to open it up. After my unfashionable event of passing out in the kitchen, I changed into some comfy sweatpants and a baggy sweatshirt. I open the door and there stands Caden and he pushes the door open, knocking me off center in the process.

"What the heck Caden?" I quietly shout. 

"Who are you talking to?" Aw hell no, this ain't cutting it. I look around the room for Danny and I don't see him.

'Where did you go?'

"I'm not someone who needs protecting, and at this rate, I need protecting from you." I shout with authority, hoping that was enough cover for what I was really feeling. He turns toward me, anger written on his face. "You acted like you loved me, hell you actually had me fooled. You, Noah, and Brooklyn are my best friends and you," I poke him in his chest, "told me to stay away from Chip. But I didn't and he's much more of a gentleman than you will ever be!" I shout at him, tears running down my face. He grabs my arms and holds me tight, not giving an inch. 

"You have no right to say that to me." He tosses me down on the bed and then whispers in my ear, "Tell anyone about this and I'll call you a liar." He leaves me and shuts the door. I break down in tears into my pillow when my phone starts ringing. I look at the caller ID and it's Chip.

"Hello?"