Chapter 9

Noelle's P.O.V 

"Then tell me the beef you have with Caden." I blurt and there's silence on the other side and I feel a sharp pang through my heart. 

"He has the girl that I always liked." Chip says, sighing. 

"The gir-" I start but stop as realization hit me.

He's talking about you!

But Caden isn't my boyfriend.

He wants to be though.

"This girl, what intrigues you about her?" I start. 

"Her personality makes me want to protect her." He chuckles and I feel happiness in my heart.

I can't and won't feel like this.

"Chip, how long has this crush been on me?" I whisper, leaning against the door.

"Ever since I saw you dealing with those three girls, which by the way, why did they pick you?" I reach up to open the door and I see Chip sitting on the ground, leaning up against the doorjamb. He looks at me and I second guess my decision on to tell him, but I sit next to him.

"Back in eighth grade, I dated this guy who was a bad boy and I thought he changed when he met me. Then a few months later, " I try to hold back my tears, but Chip wraps my hand with his. "He sits down next to me and says that he wants to break up with me, simply because I wasn't skinny and that I wasn't his type. He left me for Emily." I finish and my phone rings from my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Hey Noelle, it's Caden." 

"Oh..Hi. What's up?" I reply, still having a bad feeling about something.

"I was wondering if you want to hang out?" 

"Yeah. Where can I meet you at?"

"I was actually going to pick you up." Oh crap, he'll notice Chip's truck.

"Oh uh sure give me ten minutes and i'll text you the address."

"Oh I think I found it. Brooklyn gave it to me." How the flying frick did she have my address.

"Ok I'm going outside now." I stand up, removing my hand from Chip's and realizes how safe it felt.

Nope, not gonna happen.

I grab my drink, snack and my phone before walking into the kitchen. Chip follows me, but I can tell he wants to beat someone. I put my drink in the fridge and quickly eat my snack. 

"Noelle?" Mom calls from the living room.

"Yes mom?" I reply, walking into the living room. I see her looking out a window and her face is priceless. 

"Why didn't you tell me Caden came back?" She says excitedly. I look at Chip and then the doorbell rings. I rush to the door before mom can get to it and push Chip into the living room, which he complies to.

"Act like your best friends with my brother." I mouth to him and he nods in agreement. Danny knows what's up and he goes to hang out with Chip to protect their cover. I open the door and see Caden walk up the sidewalk and dazzle off to me his million-dollar smile. 

"Hi beautiful." He says as he steps up onto the front porch. 

"Hey." I say, trying to keep any emotion out of my voice. He reaches forward and kisses me on the cheek. I realize I'm wearing my school clothes and suddenly feel self-conscious.

"Hey, look at me." He tucks a finger under my chin to force me to look into his eyes. "Don't worry about anything." I smile then Caden glances into the living room after we hear laughing, his facial expression hard to read. He pushes me behind him as he walks towards the living room, but I grab his arm to stop him.

"Caden, please. Chip is just a fri-" I try to keep Caden from going after Chip. Danny steps in, pushing Caden away from Chip. Caden is two inches shorter than my brother but is built. 

"Noelle, darling, what is going on?" My mother says, panicked. My dad wraps an arm around her shoulder for her to sit down on the couch next to him. 

"Guys!" I yell, causing Danny, Chip, Caden, and my parents to look at me funny. "I'm sorry, but Caden and Chip, can you two leave?" Danny stands next to me and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Noelle, what the heck?" Caden starts, "I'm your best friend." 

"Caden, give it up. She knows something's up." Chip says. 

"Both of you, just get out please." I say on the verge of tears. My three best friends are somehow being shady and I don't have anyone to lean on except my brother. Caden and Chip look at each other before Caden starts towards me, but is stopped by Danny, who steps in front of me.

"You heard her." Danny says, in his authoritative voice. The two guys nod and walk out the front door, each walking to their trucks. I shut the door and lean my back up against it. "Mom, dad, I'm gonna take Noelle upstairs." He says then turns to me, "Come on shortcake." He picks me up and I curl up in his shoulder, sorrow at what just hit me.  Danny sets me down on my bed and sits down next to me. "Talk to me." 

"Ever since my best friends came back, it seems like their hiding something and then with Chip, it just makes everything that much more complicated." I start and fall back onto my pillow, looking up at the ceiling. Danny takes his shoes off and follows suit.

"I like Chip, but Caden is telling me to stay away from him." I look over at Danny, "What do you think?" 

He chuckles, "My little sister, asking me for advice on a guy." I smack him on the stomach with the back of my hand. "Ow hey!" I start laughing, feeling the stress roll right off my shoulders. "But anyway, he has a past, but the way he treats you, he's a keeper." 

"Thanks Danny. I'm thankful you're my brother." I smile and Danny wraps me up in his arms.

"And I'm thankful you're my pain in the butt little sister." I smack him on the chest and we start teasing each other.