Chapter 24

Noelle's P.O.V  

I yawn and open my eyes, sitting up in the bed and looking around the room. The room has a rustic feel to it but also a feminine feel. I grab my bag from under the bed and set it on top just as the door barges open and Caden stands in the doorway, staring at me before walking slowly into my room and has the grin of a Cheshire cat.

"Danny!" I scream, and then leap across the bed just as Caden catches my leg and I hit my head on the bed frame. I try kicking with my other leg and he got that one as well. 

"Get your hands off my sister!" I look to the door as Danny dashes through the door and tackles the man down onto the lamp. I scramble and try to find something to knock out the man when I find a baseball bat laying in the corner. I grab it and quickly slam it down on the man's head, knocking him out. Danny lays the man down as I stare at him when Danny looks up at me. 

"Shhh it's okay. Give me the bat." I give Danny the bat and then he moves me away from the body laying in front of the bed. He leads me out to the living room and I'm in shock to find that even Caden would try something like that. "Sit down." I sit down and Danny sits down next to me, wrapping his arms around me. I hear running footsteps coming down the hallway and instinctively, I tighten myself in Danny but relax when I hear Chip.

"What the hell happened?" His voice projects from my room and there's a hint of fear. He books it to the living room and then stops when he sees me in Danny's arms. "Dear heavens." He walks towards me and I flinch, causing him to stop. Trent and Nick are behind him and they all have the same look on their faces. 

"Caden somehow snuck in here and tried to grab her." Rage is written all across all their faces.

"Damnit."

"She knocked him out with a baseball bat." Danny says, causing Chip and the guys to chuckle.

"Love, it's me." I stand up, crossing into Chip's embrace and immediately start crying into his shoulder. His arms tighten around me as he rubs my back. "Hey, shush it's okay, I got you." 

"Can I skip school?" I mumble into his t-shirt.

"I'll protect you." The guys nod and Danny goes to grab my bag from my room and then comes back out, slapping a hand on Chip's back.

"Nice job with the ties." Danny hands me the bag after my mini sob moment and Chip leads me to the bathroom. I walk in and shut the door, then proceeding to get changed into a casual dress with black leggings, denim jacket and my tan riding boots. I brush my hair and thankful that my brother was smart in packing my makeup, apply concealor, foundation and my mascara. I hear a sound from the door and I grab my bag, backing away from the door in attempt to at least put some distance between the sound.

"Love, it's me." I relax and walk over to the door to open it. Chip is standing in front of the door with a box of chocolates in his hand. I sling the bag over my shoulder and then take the top off the chocolates to grab myself one. 

"Thank you." I say after I finish chewing. Chip offers me his arm and leads me into the living room where Danny stands holding my backpack and my fedora.

"I have a feeling you're gonna want this." I nod, but then look back behind me to the guest room.

"You little twerp!" 

"Just ignore him." I nod as I switch bags with Danny, who decides to stay here and try to figure out what Caden wants, after kicking ass. I give Danny a kiss on the cheek before walking out the door and putting my hat on. We make it to the school and I straighten my hat, pulling it over my eyes. Chip grabs my hand and rubs it to give me hope. I smile and I open the door and climb out of the truck. I can feel eyes on me and I hitch my bag onto my shoulder as Trent and Nick stand next to me, each placing a hand on my shoulder and squeezing it. I slide my hand into Chip's and together, the four of us set off to conquer the day.

"Her?"

"Shut up. She is so out of his league."

I shake everything I heard out of my head and walk to my locker when Chip gently pushes me against the locker.

"Everything okay?"

"How we first met. I accidentally ran into you." He stares straight into my eyes, which then is full of jealousy. I lay my hand on his shoulder, concerned. 

"Hi Noelle." I look over Chip's shoulder, who is too much focused on protecting me to look to see who it was. Oliver Martin was standing there, being shy. He was cute in a way of his dorkiness, his sandy blonde hair over his black-rimmed glasses. He's wearing a blue button down shirt that's tucked into a pair of nice-fitting blue jeans with a tan belt, and  some nice dress shoes. 

'Holy crap, he's hot!'

'We're taken, remember?'

'Damnit.'

"Hey Oliver." I wave to him and Chip takes the time to look and then stands to make himself look more intimidating. I smack him and he glares at me. "Knock it off. He's a sweet kid." I grab my books and after giving Chip a kiss on the lips, I walk over to Oliver and we start towards class.

"I heard what happened." He says after a few moments of silence. I look down at my watch and find that we still have about five minutes before class starts so we find a bench to wait. 

"Happened?" I look at him questionably. 

"With Caden being an ass." I look at him shockingly. I have never heard Oliver swear as he just did.

"My three best friends are all against me not being with Caden, except I can't stand Caden anymore." I sigh and lean my head on the back of the bench. 

"The date. I was working at the restaurant." I look at him, finding some familiarity about him, then it dawns on me.

"You were our waiter." He chuckles and nods in agreement.

"I was but I saw how you were scanning the area for a quick getaway, just in case something happened."

"You were watching me?"

"I had my doubts about him, Caden. I didn't trust him because of the way he left." 

"What do you mean?" He looks at me in shock.

"Caden and his two friends, Noah and Brooklyn, got themselves into trouble with the law. They committed a murder."