eight: danica

As days turned to weeks, I found myself being Kyle's lifeline - the person she runs into whenever she has problems. It seems unfair at first, I know. But trust me, it isn't. She also became my post - the one who anchors me to place when a hurricane comes into my life.

Turns out, all of the things they said about her aren't true. Well, some of them are. Like the fact that she's a bit of a player. But the others are just rumors, according to her.

"Who's this? Your ex?" Kyle asked, bringing me back to reality as she picks up a picture of me and Danica. She tilted her head to my direction when I didn't answer her.

I shook my head. "She's Danica, my sister," I mumbled, taking a sit on the edge of my bed.

"Oh. I thought she's your ex. Where is she now?"

Averting my gaze, I said, "She's dead."

Even without looking at her, I know she's staring at me. "I - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be that blunt. I should've known better," she babbled.

Meeting her apologetic gaze, I smiled. "It's okay, you don't have to be."

"If - if you don't mind me asking, how old is she?" Ky asked, her voice soft as if she's afraid I'll explode.

"She's eighteen when she died of a car accident two years ago," I mumbled.  "Dani and her boyfriend was hit by another car when they're on their way home."

She stayed silent for a long time that I almost forgot she's sitting on the same bed as me.

"You look a lot like her," she said, voice merely a whisper.

Her sentence made me smile despite myself. Of course she'll say that. A lot of people do.

Seeing the smile that made its way on my face, she looked at me with question in her eyes. "What?" was all she said.

My smile grew wider. "Nothing. It's just that a lot of people say the same exact same thing over and over," I said slowly, emphasizing every word.

Hearing this, I smile of her own etched its way onto her face. "Well, what can I say? You two really look alike," she shrugged.

vote, comment, follow and share if you feel the need to do so