ten: bruise

Going to her house wasn't part of my plans for today but I just need to know. Well, actually, it is but I'm here for another reason and not to tutor her, like we initially planned.

With all the courage I got, I rang their doorbell. No one answered. I rang it again. None. Again. None. Again. This time I could hear the shuffling of feet on the other side. Then,

"What the heck?! Can't you wait?" Her voice echoed all throughout the house.

Then she opened the door. Her face went pale. Like she'd seen a ghost.

"Dan," she said, almost out of breath. "What are you doing here?"

I gestured to my bag. "Still got some things to work on, remember?"

"Oh. Yeah, I, uh, I forgot," she mumbled, opening the door wider for me to enter.

Something's off.

She guided me to the lounge, keeping a small amount of distance. There, I sat on the floor, got the textbooks out of my bag along with the take out I got from some fast food on the way.

"I see you're not prepared," she smiled, amused.

"Scout's honor," I winked.

She laughed. I like it when she laughed. It's like you can't help but laugh with her. Like the whole world is laughing with her.

"So, what d'ya got?" She asked, taking a sit beside me on the floor.

"Well, something you hate," I said, taking out the Calc textbook.

- - -

"So, you haven't told me the real reason why you didn't go to school a while ago," I said, halfway through finishing my iced coffee.

"Trust me, you wouldn't want to know," she replied with a smirk playing on her lips.

"Trust me, I want to," I retorted.

"C'mon, let's just finish this Calc," she said, changing the subject.

I sighed. There's no way I could win with Kyle Riley. Rolling my eyes, I grab the fries on the other side of the center table, my hand brushing slightly her arm. She winced.

Furrowing my brows, I asked, "Why?"

For the second time this afternoon, she went pale. "Nothing. It's nothing," she mumbled a little too quick.

"Ah-ah, you don't get to lie," I replied, pushing up the sleeves of her oversized shirt, revealing a nasty bruise. This time, it's my turn to go pale. "What happened here?"

vote, comment, follow and share if you feel the need to do so