thirty: time lapse

EIGHT YEARS LATER . . .

I fumbled with my keys, not having the patience to wait for her open the door. And just when I inserted the key into the lock, the knob turned and there, before me stood the most beautifel creature I have ever seen in my entire life - well, one of the two creatures I considered most beautiful.

"Daddy!" My little girl's eyes lit up, all drowsiness fading away as she sees me standingin the doorway. Immediately, I took her from  her mother's arms as I step inside. I gotta say, she's heavy for a three year old.

"How's your day, beautiful?" I asked, setting her down on the matt-covered floor of our living room.

"It was fun! Momma and I went to the park! And momma let me play with other girls," she rambled, grey eyes glinting as she reminisce. I chuckled at her babbling, poking her nose at the same time.

"Why didn't you called daddy so I could come with you?" I faked disappointment causing my girlfriend to bark out a laugh behind me.

"As if you could answer calls at work. How's the project going?" She handed Fatima her milk then shifted those beautiful grey orbes of hers to meet mine.

"Yeah, t'was fine. How was your day, gorgeous?" I wraped my arms around her waist, pulling her close to me, making her gasp a little and I took that opportunity to press my lips on hers. I could feel her blush under my touch as I cup her face with my hand.

"It's been great. I actually tried a new recipe and I think it was good. Okay, enough about work. Dinner's ready. Go change so we can eat. I'll tuck Fatima to bed," she said, picking up our now sleeping daughter from the matt.

"I'll tuck her to bed. You're already stressed out," I countered, taking Fatima fron her and gave her a peck on the cheek.

I anxiously tapped my foot against the tiled floor of our bedroom, waiting for her to come out.

"Kyle, for fuck's sake. You've been in there for eons. What's happened?" I asked as I knocked on the bathroom door.

"Just hang on, okay? I'll be out in - oh, holy fuck," she breathed on the other side.

"Well?" I asked as she emerged from the bathroom mere seconds later. My eyes searched her face for anything to give away but found none. Then I noticed the stick she's holding in her hand, I took it from her and my eyes widen at the sight.

Two pale, red lines. "No way," I breathed, a smile etching its way to my face. "You're - I'm - We're - "

"Yes, I'm pregnant. Yes, you're a dad. Yes, we're going to be parents," she confirmed but she obviously didn't look happy.

"What's wrong?" I asked frantically. When the words left my mouth, she collapsed to the floor, sobbing. "Hey, hey. Kyle, look at me."

She didn't.

Stubborn.

I put a finger under her chin and guide her head up so she could look at me in the eye. "I'm - I'm scared, " her voice broke at the end of her sentence then  she continues to cry in my arms.

"Hey, I'm scared, too. But I know you could do it. I'll be with you for nine straight months, babe. And hey, why are you scared, huh? You're Kyle Riley. And the Kyle Riley I know doesn't fear anything."

"I love you, Dante."

"I love you, baby."

I look at my peaceful daughter. She look just like her mother. With her curly hair, grey eyes, sassy attitude and her good looks.

"I was wondering where have you been, " a voice I could recognise even if my hair has turned grey said from the doorway. I turned my head just enough to see her petite figure watching me.

"Sorry, I zoned out, " my voice was barely above whisper but I'm sure she could hear it because of the quietness inside the nursery. "I didn't mean to keep you waiting, gorgeous, I'm sorry."

We are halfway through the meal she cooked for us and I had to say, it tastes like heaven. Neither of needed to say anything as we both continue to savour the dish she served for dinner.

The box is heavy in my pocket - well, not literally but I've been carrying this since, well, since forever.

I cleared my throat, swallowing the lump inside as I gather her attention. She confusely looked at me when I stood up and made my way towards her side.

"Kyle Riley, we've been together for eight years. We have a daughter who just turned three two months ago and - fuck the speech. Kyle Rikey, will you marry me and be Kyle Kavanagh?" I got down on one knee and pulled out the box, opening it to reveal my mother's ring.

She gasped, hands flying over her mouth as she nod. "Yes."

I don't know what to fo first, kiss her, put the ring on her finger, thank her or do a victory dance. So I did what came into my mind first.

I kiss her.

She kissed me back.

Then, quite too soon, she pulled away.

"You're so fucking corny, Dante," she whispered then close the distance between us again.

- END -

It happened! They're engaged!

please vote, comment, follow and share if you feel the need to do so