Prologue

Some guys look at life as a party.  A good time. Coasting by not really giving a shit what may happen as long as there are girls, drink, smoke or whatever that's them. That isn't me. That's my twin. All he thinks about is the next notch on his bed post or the next score all the while hiding behind this persona.  I prefer to be real.

People may call me a pessimist but I consider myself a realist.  I don't look at the glass half empty or half full. I just see it for what it is.  I'm not into the drinking or drugs. I'm not even into a casual fling. It's not my thing personally.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a goody goody by any means. I fight, I have a mouth, and I'm always looking for something of interest.

Things have been assume about me since I don't have a girl hanging all over me. People think I'm gay, far from it. I've never been into casual flings with girls. Oh they have tried and yeah I will admit, I've messed around a bit but as far as going further, naw I'll pass.

My parents are always on my ass. Ryker, when are you going to do something?  Ryker, there's more to life than hanging in your room.  Ryker, do anything.  Yeah you get the drift.  I get that they care but damn, a little leeway would be nice.

School bores me. It's like it has no purpose what so ever. Anything I do, I pass. My grades are impeccable but it bares no interest to me. Call me moody by I really could do without.

Every day it's the same thing, same people. People I have known through the years, grew up with. Some of my family goes there while the others are scattered. Why my parents decided to settle in the town they grew up in is beyond me. In fact I'm still wondering what is wrong with my family that they decided to stay.

Besides my parents, my two uncles stuck around as well, while the others got out of this god forsaken town. I hate it here. I absolutely hate it here. The minute I get a chance I am leaving and never coming back.

"Ryker! Breakfast," I heard mom yell breaking me from my thoughts.  I exhaled deeply, rubbing my face. I turned and looked at the clock, seven a.m.  I turned back to face the ceiling. One more year in this forsaken town, then I'm out of here.

My door flung open, "did you hear your mother? She said breakfast."

I turned and looked at him, "yeah I heard. I'm not deaf."

"Sometimes I wonder," he said to me. Dad. He leaned up against the doorway with his arms crossed. His auburn hair hung loosely on his forehead. I didn't dare to defy him to the point of losing his shit. I knew he could wipe the floor with me.

He straightened up and headed to the kitchen. I finally sat up, pulling on a pair of black jeans and black tee shirt. I shoved my feet into my boots and quickly tied them. Then I left my room heading to the kitchen.

I walked in to see mom at the stove and dad, my twin and sister at the table. They were talking but I wasn't really paying attention. I grabbed a plate and started dishing food on it. Mom pointed to her cheek, signally for a kiss. I gave her a quick peck, before taking a seat next to my other half.

My twin and I could not be more different. While he was put together better, I just went with the flow. Our personalities were equally different. He was upbeat and always ready to make conversation while I would rather stick with my own thoughts. They call it being an introvert. I call it being real.

My sister was about a year older, who graduated last year. She was starting college today. Her and my other cousin were heading out to the local college before they transfer.

As we ate I listen to everyone talk with a nod here and there. I didn't feel the need to speak this morning. A few minutes later in strolled my other cousins. The cousin going to school with my sister and her younger brother who was a senior like us. Then our other cousin walked in behind them.

"You boys ready for your last year," dad asked.

"Oh hell yea, I can't wait," my one cousin said.

"Language," mom said.

"We need to get going," my brother said scarfing down his food.  I quickly finished mine and with that the four of us headed out.

Once inside the car, my brother turned over the engine and with that we were off. Yep this was going to be one hell of a year, I can already feel it.