The past can haunt us

Waking up every day having my family look at me the same way always put me in a foul mood. I sat at breakfast, quieter than usual moving my food around with my fork. They all looked at each other as I sat there. I finally had enough and got up.

I left heading to school. I didn't bother to wait for the others. What's the point?

As I made my way to the parking lot, there they leaning against Ryder's car waiting for me. Fuck.

"When you going to stop beating yourself up brother?"

"When the past stays in the past."

"You know mom and dad are worried about you?"

"Why so I can constantly be reminded of what a fuck up I am. No thanks." My tone was cold and harsh.

"Ryker you got to let it go man. You weren't the only one it affected," Evan said in an even tone.

"You don't think I know that? I live with it every single day and night only be judged by my dad," I shot back.

"Only because he cares. You forget he was there too. He saw what happened. We all saw what happened. Hell, we're living proof of being in the thick of shit," Frisco said.

I knew they were right. They were there. They saw it all go down. The damage of what happened with everyone. I knew no matter how much I fought it, it would still haunt me. I still beat myself up over it. For being stupid. For being in love and so damn stupid.

"Someone got a knife because the tension is pretty thick right now," a voice said walking up to us.

"Hey Val," they all said, nodding and waving.

"Hey guys. So, why is everyone pouting?"

"It's nothing," I said quickly dismissing the conversation.

"Nothing is always something but you can always tell me later," she said giving me a quick wink. I couldn't help but smile as I shook my head. Val had that effect on me.

"Oh come on guys! It hasn't even been a full week and you're already a bunch of miserable sods. Lighten up," she grinned causing us to chuckle. "That's more like it. Now come on. We got other people to deal with."

She grabbed mine and my brothers arms dragging us behind her as my cousins followed behind. That was the thing about Val, she didn't care about my past. She didn't care about what other people thought. She saw me something as more, than what everyone else saw. For that I was grateful.

******
Over the next few weeks life at home became a bit more bearable. I pretty much kept to my self only giving short burst answers. I didn't need a lecture again.

Valerie became more and more part of our group, always making us laugh and what not. Watching her and Melanie go their rounds became entertainment for us.

Evan was still fighting with Ruby about Brent. It was always the same thing with them. I had to admit even the rest of us thought Brent was a real prick. We just waited for the right time to pounce. The fucker was smart. He knew we wouldn't do anything as long as he didn't force our hands. God I hated him.

It wasn't until one day I was on my way to catch up with the others when I spotted them. He had her pinned, screaming at her as she begged him. Fucker.

Then I saw him ball up his fist and pull it back making her cower like a caged animal. I picked up speed and just as he was about to let his fist fly, I let mine go, knocking him off his feet and into the air. He landed onto his back and I walked over, picking him up by his shirt and hitting him over and over.