Life and death

All the funeral arrangements were made and today was the funeral. I knew who could help Val and pulled dad aside, "dad I need a favor."

"Sure," he said.

I explained what I wanted to do and he agreed with me. I went upstairs and opened the door to find Val standing at the window. I walked over and placed my hands on her shoulders.

"It's time," I whispered. She nodded and I took her hand and led her out of the room. We all got into our cars and headed to the cemetery. Once we arrived we got out and walked up and took our seats. The minister spoke and we all sat there.

Val sobbed and I comforted her. Once the minister was done I got up and walked to the front.

"Today we say goodbye to a wife, mother, daughter, aunt, sister and friend. Mary was the sweetest woman I ever met. She welcomed me even though I didn't know her. She also knew one day I would end up with her daughter."

I pulled the rock from my pocket, "she kept this because she knew how much it meant to Val and for that I will forever be grateful. Someone once told me we all have a story to tell. The people in our lives help tell that story. Mary decided to help tell mine and Val's story and even though hers is over, ours is just beginning. Let's honor Mary by each of us telling our story and finishing it."

*****
After the ceremony, people talked to each other then I saw them. I grabbed Val's hand and led her to them.

"Val this is Seth Grady's parents. The guy whose heart you received," I said to her. She looked at me then at them. "I'll leave you all to talk."

I walked over to Ryder, Ryanne, dad and mom.

"What was that about," Ryder asked.

"That's Seth's parents."

"What are they doing here," Ryanne asked.

"They're here because their son gave Val a second chance at life when her mother gave her the first. If it wasn't for either she wouldn't be here today and I wouldn't be here. She saved me even when I didn't want to be saved," I said.

We all watched as Seth's parents placed their hand on Val's chest so they could feel their son's heartbeat. Two lives live because sh never gave up hope.

******
I stood by the car as Val walked up to me. She stood in front of me, "thank you."

"For what?"

"For everything. How did you know?"

"Because they lost someone they loved just like you did but both have a common theme. You."

"I'm not going to lie, this is really hard," she said trying to choke back a sob.

"I know," I said pulling to me, "but we'll get through it together. I promise."

She held on me tightly and I let her cry.

*****
The next few weeks were hard on Val and her dad trying to adjust to not having Mary here. We were all there for them. I'm not going to lie. It was rough. Val was angry and lashed out at everyone. It got so bad RJ called for reinforcements.

One night was particularly bad when she let go with anger. I tried to get her calm down but she just lashed out at me. While I was trying to calm her the front door open.

"Where is she," Nik asked.

"Upstairs with Ryker. I'm not going to lie, its bad," RJ said.

"I got this," he said taking two steps at a time.