The party

When we got home we strolled into the kitchen and mom looked up from doing dishes, "how was school boys?"

"Same old shit, different day," Ryder said opening the fridge looking for food.

I leaned against the counter as dad walked in and smacked Ryder upside the head, "what did I tell you about language?"

"Not to get caught," he smirked.

"One of these days, your mouth is going to get you into trouble," dad said giving mom a kiss, then pulling out some pans to start dinner.

"What about you Ryker," mom asked.

"It was okay," I shrugged.

"By the way, there's a party tonight," Ryder said leaning on the counter.

"Whose," dad asked.

"Melanie's."

"Ryder you know I hate that girl," dad said.

"Yeah, well I like her," he said with a retort. The one thing my brother and dad always argued about was Melanie. Dad couldn't stand her and neither could the rest of my family.

"So, can I go?"

He gave Ryder a look, "she also invited Ryker, Evan and Frisco."

"Only because you threw us under the bus and made her invite us," I said.

He shot me a glare and I shrugged. Yeah I wasn't fazed by Ryder's glares.

He looked at mom, "what do you think Liz?"

"It's up to you Drew but you know if we say no, he'll just sneak out anyways," she said facing him.

"You're no help, you know that?"

She shrugged and smirked.

"Fine but as long as the others go and if there is a problem you call us," he said as he cut up potatoes.

"Sweet, I'll call Evan and Frisco now," Ryder said leaving the kitchen.

Dad looked at me, "keep an eye on him tonight. You're brother has the worst judgement when it comes to that damn girl."

"You know I do. Hell, I don't even want to go to this stupid party. I can't stand the bitch," I said causing them to both laugh.

"Smart boy," dad said as he continued prepping thing for dinner.

Just then his phone rang, "ah hell this should be good. Hey. Yeah they told me. No Matt I don't like her either but what can you do?  Yeah we'll see you in a bit.  Later."

Mom looked at him, "guess whose coming to dinner," dad said with a smirk.

Great, the family is coming for dinner. Don't get me wrong I love my family but there is always some kind of drama going on. Thanks to Ryder and his poor judgement skills I have to listen to them all yap about it.

I decided to head to my room. I needed some time alone before having to deal with all this. I walked in and shut my door, heading to my bed and laying there. I stared at the ceiling lost in thoughts when I heard a knock at the door. I didn't bother to say anything.

It opened to only have my older sister Ryanne standing there.

"Rough day?"

I patted my bed and she strolled over and laid down next to me.

"Just the usual bullshit."

"But."

"How do you know there's a but?"