Graduation

The next morning I was up earlier than usual. In fact I was up way before anyone else. I decided to grab a cup of coffee and sit by the window of my room. It's weird to think back at everything that had happened from the beginning of the year to now.

Where I was in my frame of mind to where I am now. I couldn't fathom it. I wasn't the same person. I felt different. As I sat there reflecting on everything, I heard a knock at the door. I looked to see dad open the door.

"Your up early," he said walking in and over to me.

"I like the quietness," I said.

He took a seat next to me, "you always did even as a little boy."

"It helps with the chaos," I said to him.

"That's what made you different than the others Ryker. I knew that the minute I held you for the first time in the hospital. You didn't really fuss or make noise. You just looked around trying to take everything in. Your brother on the other hand, man did he have a set of lungs on him," he chuckled.

"Sounds about right with Ryder," I laughed.

"But seriously, I'm proud of you. Both of you actually. It's been a rough road but we made it. You made it and I could not be more proud of you for it," he said.

"Thanks for everything dad. When most people would have given up on me, you never did. If it wasn't for you, I don't think I would be where I am today."

"What about Val?"

"Val she gave me control over my life but you, you gave me unconditional love," I said to him.

"That's my job," he said to me. "My job is to love your mother and you kids and to protect you. You guys are my family. Nothing more, nothing less."

As we talked granddad stood at the door and listen to us. Grammie walked up to him, "Ryan?"

"You know Alex, being a father is the greatest gift you can have but watching another father with your grandchild is even better. Drew is a good father. I'm so glad Elizabeth ended up with him."

"I am too. I could have not picked a better man for our daughter," she smiled. "Come on let's round up the stragglers."

As we talked we heard RJ shout, "dad's up before us?! How the hell did that happen?!"

Dad and I both laughed.

*****
I finished dressing and pulled on my gown and grabbed my cap when I heard Ryder say, "ready brother?"

I looked to see them all in their gowns, "yep."

I walked out of the room and we all made our way to graduation. When we arrived Ryder and I had to sit on stage.

"This looks familiar," mom said to Matt.

"Too familiar," he said.

We all sat there as a few people talked then finally it was our turn. Ryder and I got up together.

"Oh god what are those two up to," dad asked.

"We thought about a speech but that isn't us," Ryder said.

"Obviously," I added causing people to laugh.

"So, we decided to have a bit of fun. Let it rip boys," Ryder said. With that Austin pressed a button and out shot confetti and silly string over everyone then balloons dropped on everyone.