[5] stormchapter™,

Hamilton sat in a booth next to a window, drinking his fifth cup of coffee. Not that he noticed, but he was the only customer left, and they were closing up. Focused on writing the essay Washington told him about that they would have to turn in in a few weeks, he didn't notice the pouring rain either. He had walked here; he couldn't drive. The dorms weren't that far away but still a little bit, and it was almost midnight, he had school in the morning. Alex acknowledged none of this until a waiter came up to him, poking him in the shoulder.

"Sir, sorry sir but we're closing up."

Hamilton looked up.

"Oh okay." He started gathering his stuff as the man left.

He didn't have to go out to study; he could have just stayed in his room, but he wanted to get away from his roommate for a bit. Not that he had been bothering him surprisingly. It was too much for his head to think about right now.

"Thank you." He mumbled as he left the café walking out into the rain.

"Shit," he thought. He didn't have a bag for his laptop; he covered it with his jacket. Then he heard thunder.

It wasn't that he was scared of it, it just made him feel uncomfortable. That's what he told himself anyway as he kept walking. The wind had already unleashed, and it was getting stronger by the second, biting his face as he kept going, holding onto his laptop with all his might. There had been no more thunder though, and he was grateful for that. But it got harder to walk forward; he could barely see where he was going anymore.
He made a quick decision as he picked up his phone from his pocket, turning into a bus shelter, it didn't offer much shelter, but enough as he dialled Lafayette,

"Pick up, pick up," he whispered to himself.

He didn't pick up. Herc's phone was just about as much luck.

Finally, he called Laurens, he had barely seen him all day, but he knows John would be there in a heartbeat if he just picked up his goddamn phone.

His friends weren't picking up, understandably as it was past midnight and he didn't have any idea where he was anymore.

The storm was getting worse; he recognised the feeling when he could feel the wind intensely in his eyes; it was the tearless stage where the eyes just glistened as the tension built up behind them, but he had to get rid of it, that wasn't the time or place for stupid tears. He still had Jefferson's phone number since that surprise party they all had for Lafayette. Maybe he changed it. Hamilton didn't know, and as he tried deciding if calling his roommate was worth it, he heard another thunder, and it was loud. That answered his question. He only now noticed his fingers trembling as he clicked on Jefferson's contact and called him. It took a bit for him to pick up but he eventually did.

"...Hamilton."

"Jefferson."

There was some silence, and Hamilton opened his mouth to speak before being interrupted by Thomas.

"Where are you? The weather is crazy outside," he said, emphasising on crazy.

"I don't know where I am, Jefferson, you have a car right?"

"Well yes."

"Can you, I mean no one else is picking up."

"Fine."

Hamilton felt relieved.

There was some silence.

"Do you have any idea where you are though?"

"Um, I was at the café, and then I went left, I think, and I'm in a bus shelter right now, but I can't really see anything."

"Okay, don't go anywhere I think I know where you are."

"Okay."

And then he hung up.

Hamilton stayed at the bus stop for a good ten minutes. Then he saw a car pull up next to it and he had never been more happy to see Thomas Jefferson. He got into the car, managing to shut the door with some difficulty.

"Thank you," he whispered as he closed his eyes, leaning back on the seat."

"You're welcome, seatbelt on, please," Jefferson said as he started driving again, Hamilton did as he was told.

He was soaking wet, his hair a mess but he didn't care at the moment. Then there was another thunder, Jefferson noticed Hamilton flinch, but he turned his eyes back to the road.

The weather was bringing up memories, but Alex tried burying them again in the back of his head. His head hurt, it ached. Suddenly breathing had become something that needed to be focused on instead of a simple function. He buried his head in his hands and zoned out.

"Hamilton, can you hear me?"

"Hamilton?"

"Alexander?"

He zoned back in; they were in the university parking garage.

"What, yes I'm yes," Hamilton mumbled.

"You're yes?"

"Mhm."

The weather was just getting worse.

"What time is it?" He asked weakly.

"It's like 1 am, are you okay? You seem kind of.."

"No, I'm all right, can we go?"

"Okay."

"They left the car and headed towards the dorms.

TIMESKIP

He recognised the sound of lightning as he entered their dorm, jumping back a bit.

"Hamilton for real, are you okay? You're kind of scaring me."

He shut his eyes hard, trying to keep the tears back as much as he could.

Thomas locked the door behind them.

"Hamilton?" he asked.

"Alexander?"

"I'm okay," he replied, his voice cracking at the sound of thunder.

But he didn't even feel the tears streaming down his face; he was too focused on his breathing. Unexpectedly, he felt the taller man pull him closer, wrapping his arms around him. His embrace was warm, and Alex would have protested, but he was too busy breathing, so he just sobbed into Jefferson's chest, clutching his shirt for dear life. Thomas just stayed.

934 words

what is a Hamilton fanfic really without the stormchapter? also, I've wanted to write one of these for so long (yay.)