Ch. 28- I Care

^Ignore the thumbnail, the song's chill though.^

Deja's POV

"Are you sad to see me?" David asks, taking a seat across the table.

"Do I have detention for two days next week?"

"Yes."

"Then, there you have your answer." I say, looking back at my phone. "Now, could you please do everyone a favor and leave?"

"What if I don't want to leave?"

"Well, you're gonna leave eventually so, I'll just have to wait it out."

"What if I don't leave?"

"Listen, David. I'm doing you a favor by not telling anyone about what happened. Now, can you do me a favor and leave me alone?"

"Sorry, Deja, but I didn't ask you to not say anything. Therefore, I will not leave because I don't need anything in return at the moment."

I'm stumpted at this point. I don't want to make a scene and push him out of his chair. I just want him to leave and not bother me.

"What do you want, David?"

"To be honest, I don't like how you don't talk to me anymore. You're treating this breakup like it was just a one night stand when it was actually almost a week."

"First, I can count weeks, David. Second, you treated that whole week like an extended one night stand. Third and lastly, you still haven't told me what you want from me."

"How'd I treat that week like a one night stand?"

"All you ever wanted to do was get in my pants."

"No, that was not my intention at all. That was just what happened on that day."

"Sure." I chew on the straw sticking out of my half-empty coffee.

"Is there any way that we could start talking to each other again?"

I laugh right in his face. "No."

"I don't want to be your boyfriend anymore, I can see you've replaced me already. I just want to be an acquaintance like how we used to be."

"Nothing will ever be like it used to be and I think that's something that you'll never understand." I get up, prepared to make an drama-filled cinematic exit, but Cameron comes up at the right time.

Thank God for Cameron.

"When did he get here?" Cameron asks while chewing on his pretzel.

"He was just going." I say.

"No, I wasn't." David says defensively.

Today, you are.

"If she doesn't want you here, then you should leave." Cameron suggests.

"Did you tell him about it yet?" David asks, knowing it'll put me in an uncomfortable situation.

"About what?" Cameron asks while continuing to eat his pretzel.

"Nothing. David, can you please get the fuck away from me?"

"Wow, someone's bold now that their boyfriend's here. I know you just lost your best friend and everything, but that doesn't give you the right to act like a bitch." David says, making the cinematic exit that I wanted to make.

As soon as he leaves the table, Cameron asks, "Do you want me to beat his ass?"

I weigh my options and mentally choose the less violent answer. Today's been going so well and I don't want it to be ruined by violence.

"No, at least not for today."

"Great, because I really didn't want to drop my pretzel." He takes another bite.

"Hey, can I have some of that?" I say, reaching over to grab his pretzel.

He smacks my hand away and says, "No, you can get your own."

"Damn, who hurt you?"

"Like physically or emotionally?"

Did he really just ask me that? I know he didn't just ask me that.

"Emotionally."

"Well, a few people."

"How'd that go?"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

I assume that it's probably a girlfriend that broke his heart. At the same time, Cameron said that he hates relationships so, I really don't know.

"Anyway, today's about you, not me so, do you feel better?" He asks me.

"Yeah, but David kinda put a roadblock in things."

"You shouldn't let him have such an impact on you."

"You don't understand."

"Then, help me understand."

"Never mind, can you just drop me off?"

"It's not even 1:30 yet." He says, taking another bite off his pretzel.

"I know. I just feel so weird now so, I want to go home."

"Do you like ice cream?"

"Yeah, why?"

"There's a Coldstone on the way back to your house."

Another flashback hits me. Damn it, can I ever enjoy anything that's supposed to be enjoyable again?

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

"Yeah, I don't want any ice cream."

"I don't think that the conclusion of you and Tiara's friendship is the whole reason why you're feeling like this."

Dang it, he's on my case. Maybe I should tell him. Maybe I should just continue with what I'm doing already.

"That's the only thing that's bothering me."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure."

"OK, but if anything happens, just know that you can tell me." He says, reaching for my hand.

When his hand clutches mine, it doesn't feel weird. It doesn't feel forced or anything like that, it feels comforting. It's telling me that everything will be alright.

Afterwards, he lets go of my hand. I want him to hold it again, but I think it would feel weird if he did it again.

"Woah, if I let that go on for too long, that would've been weird." Cameron awkwardly chuckles.

"I know right. That would've felt weird." I say.

Cameron's POV

At this point, I just want to plant my lips on hers. I know that she would feel better if I just hugged or kissed her. She looks so pitiful and helpless and I just want to help her. I care about Deja and I don't want to see her cry or look sad.

I wouldn't say that I like Deja. You could say that I just feel bad for her. People always think that I have no empathy towards people just because I fight, but they always forget that I'm human.

I'm worried about Deja to an extent, but I don't want to come off as overbearing. I just want to let her know that someone is always there for her.

I'm always there for her.

"I'm always here for you." I say as her watery eyes meet mine.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"I need a hug." She says, wrapping her arms around me.

Vote, Comment, Share, Follow

This was a shorter chapter, but I hope that you guys enjoyed it anyway.