Ch. 53- Unbelievable

Deja's POV

I await my mom's response. I know it's a lot to take in so, I understand why she's taking such a long time to say something.

"You said what?" My mom asks for clarification.

"I said he almost raped me."

"You really don't want to go with him so much that you'd make up such a serious thing?" My mom asks, looking at me like I'm crazy.

This is why I don't tell my mom things. She almost never believes anything I say. She'll only believe me if it's convenient for her.

"I'm not making up anything, mom. I'm being dead serious."

"I'm sure you are, honey." She walks upstairs, but lightly pats me on the head before doing so like a dog.

I cannot wait until I graduate high school. Even though I haven't even planned for anything post-high school, I just want to the leave the house. I'll figure everything out eventually.

I have to find a way to skip Homecoming. I just can't bring myself to go with David. At first I thought that I'd be able to handle one night with David, but I don't even think I can do that. The anxiety is too much for me. I know that I'm trying to annoy Cameron, but what will that achieve?

Why am I putting someone's irritation before my own happiness?

Maybe petty Deja should retire for a little while. For now, I'll turn in some last minute homework.

30 minutes later (in spongebob voice)

I hit the turn in button on the Google Classroom assignment. I'm about to log out of my school email when I notice there's two new emails in my inbox from the school.

Curious, my cursor hovers over one of the emails and I blindly click. I read the subject, "Homecoming". It's probably some information about the event. I should probably read this. Wait, why is this email built like an essay with all these paragraphs? I guess this isn't the average 2 minute-long announcement.

"Due to scheduling, Homecoming has been moved up a week. Therefore, it will take place this Saturday." The email reads.

I have a mini-heart attack. It's literally Tuesday. There's some more information in the email but it's basically elaboration. It looks like I'm gonna have to come up with a plan to ditch David quicker. At first I was going to come up with a plan next week, but I can't do that now.

I cannot do this alone. I'm gonna need some help.

Me: I'm not going to Homecoming with David.

CBDS😍: Yay - I mean why?

Me: The idea of going to Homecoming with him honestly freaked me out.

CBDS😍: So, is he mad?

Me: He doesn't know it yet.

CBDS😍: I'm confused.

This is honestly so hard to explain over text. I press on the home button of my phone and tap on the green phone icon. I tap on his contact and the call starts.

"I cannot go to Homecoming." I say as soon as the call connects.

"We've already established that."

"Stop being sarcastic and help me."

"Help you do what?"

"I need to ditch David without directly hurting his feelings."

"Well, is Ava going to Homecoming?" He asks.

"I think she is, why?"

"You could not go and then Ava could be at Homecoming to break the news to him."

"That could actually work."

"That is if you can stomach having a conversation with her."

"We're chill now. She owes me anyway so, she'll comply."

"Well, what happened that made you guys finally get together?"

"Her dad died, but anyway I'll see you tomorrow."

"Wait, wh-" he starts, but the call drops.

~~~
(Next Day)

Standing at the bus stop is usually tiresome, but starting conversation with Ava helps the time go by quicker.

"Hey, Ava do you know who David is?" I ask.

"Yes, he hangs around Tiara frequently. He was at the party at Cynthia's last week."

And David says that he struggles to get a Homecoming date. David seems to be having the time of his life making out with Tiara and other girls that I have no knowledge of.

"Oh ok." I say.

"Do you still like him?"

"Gross, no."

"Then, why are you going to Homecoming with him?" She asks.

I'm gonna need for all these people to stop keeping tabs on me. I swear, everyone is obsessed with Deja James. I thought people would stop caring about me once all the fighting stopped, but that's obviously not the case.

"Well, I'm not trying to go with him." I say while pulling out my phone to check the time.

"You know that Homecoming was moved up to this Saturday, right?"

"I know. That's the reason why I need your help."

"What do you need me to do?"

"So, on Saturday night, can you tell David that I'm not gonna be there?"

"Ok."

"Like, can you specifically say, 'you're gonna be a lonely ass dude, Deja's not coming'?"

She laughs. "Sure, I can do that."

"Thanks because I really don't want to go with him."

"So, I'm hearing that he's free. I mean, he is kinda cute."

"Trust me, you don't want him. Literally anyone is better than him." I advise.

"Okay, I'll take your word for it."

Honestly, I don't want Ava to be another one of David's victims. I was silly enough to believe him and get myself hurt, but now he's hurting these other girls. If he has all of these girls wrapped around his finger, why is he still trying to get with me? Why can't he just let me go like his past girlfriends?

Unless, he still hasn't gotten what he's wanted yet. David did one of the worst things he could ever do to me, so what else is there for him to do? What's his agenda?

Vote, Comment, Share, and Follow

Sorry this was a short chapter, next chapter will be longer.