Ch. 56- Misplaced Trauma

Deja's POV

I hear a scream and then some other sounds that are hard to identify. I use my hands to push myself off the cold ground. I have an excruciating headache and it feels like my mind isn't controlling my body. I honestly feel like I'm all over the place.

I look around to realize that I'm in the nurse's office. I don't remember much about what landed me in here. Based on what I remember, David choked me and then I passed the fuck out. I hear the door open and see Ava walk in.

"Thank God, you're okay." She hugs me.

"Of course, I'm okay. I just got choked out."

"Don't worry, the ambulance is on the way."

"Ambulance, what? I'm fine, I don't need an ambulance."

"You might feel fine right now, but you might not be completely okay. You sure don't look fine."

"What are you talking about?"

"Go look in the mirror."

I walk over to the mirror, afraid that what I'll see will be worse than I think. I have marks on my neck and a couple of bruises on my face. I can tell that these marks aren't gonna go away any time soon.

"We don't have to wait in here. We can wait in the hallway." Ava suggests.

"I'll wait in the hallway."

We leave out the door and enter the hallway. About one minute goes by before I see Mr. Davis walking very close to Cameron. They're both speed walking and Mr. Davis is giving Cameron a lecture.

"Cameron, you're a smart guy. Why'd you have to fight Deja and David?"

"I already told you, I didn't lay a hand on Deja."

"David choked her. I saw it with my own eyes." Ava says, causing both Mr. Davis and Cameron to stop walking.

I guess they didn't see us in the halls until just now.

"She's right. Cameron didn't touch me. David is the one that did this to me." I say, referring to the marks on my neck and face.

"See, Mr. Davis, I didn't do shit to her."

"What about David? What did you do to him?" Mr. Davis asks Cameron.

"We're not talking about David, Mr. Davis." Cameron says.

"We should be though. We had to take David to the hospital before we could even think about Deja because of how bad he was."

"Well, that sounds like a David problem."

"Cameron, stop it. You're 19 going on 20 for Christ's sake."

"Okay, and?"

"I'm gonna need you to start acting like you give a damn about what you do in life."

"But, I don't."

"I want you to start because I'm honestly scared for you. You don't know how close you are to going to jail tonight."

Cameron looks down at his feet. I can tell that he's close to tears.

"Whatever." Cameron says, still looking down.

"Whatever is the reason why you're expelled."

"Okay, can I leave now?"

"You can't leave school campus, but you can walk away."

Cameron turns around and starts walking toward the school exit. I follow him out and see the ambulance get closer to the school entrance. I really don't want to go, but at the same time, I want someone to see my injuries.