Ch. 42- Back Off

Deja's POV

My mom and Ava's mom go into the backyard. Ava and I continue to stand in the driveway.

"Tell me why you look so familiar." Ava says, trying to act like she doesn't know who I am.

"Listen, you stay on this side of the neighborhood and I'll stay on mine."

"Or what?"

"Bitch, don't tempt me." I say, walking away from Ava while laughing.

"I don't want your boyfriend, okay?" Ava says, walking beside me.

Why is she following me?

"You only say that because Cameron didn't call or text you yesterday." I say.

"Oh, that's his name."

"Right, but that's not important since you do not want to date him."

"Quite frankly, whatever your name is, I can date who I want because I'm eighteen."

Why did she tell me that like that's supposed to be extraordinary?

"I'm eighteen too, Ava. I know you probably assumed that I was seventeen, but you're not anything special, sweetheart." I say, tapping her on the shoulder lightly before picking up the pace a bit.

Ava stands there, not following me anymore. Thank goodness, I thought that I would have to Cynthia her.

"Based on your childish behavior, I would think you'd be a freshman." Ava says, standing with her arms folded.

Deja, calm down. You are smarter than this girl. She is not worth a reaction. You know what, screw that. I turn around and walk quickly to the girl.

"Actually, I happen to be in AP English Literature and several Honors classes. Take a look at my schedule and report cards before your dumbass mouth decides to open."

"How long did that take for you to come up with that?" Ava asks, continuing to keep her arms folded.

"Since we're asking questions, I would like to know how long it took you to realize that you're just another bitch."

Ava's hand is close to touching my face, but I catch it before it makes contact. I guess Cameron actually isn't the best influence.

"I know you're new and everything, but that's not how things go around here. I don't like you, you don't like me and that's how things are going to be." I say before letting go of her hand.

I should fight the bitch, but then I remember that her mom would ask questions if she came home with a mark on her face. I can tell that our moms are going to be close so, my mom would not hesitate to punish me.

"Who even are you?" Ava asks in a posh, snotty dialect.

"I'm Deja James. That's all I'm gonna say." I say before seeing both of our parents step on the driveway from the backyard.

"Oh look, they're already getting acquainted." My mom says.

Ava smiles and puts her arm around me. I have the urge to push it off, but my mom would see that and would condemn me automatically. I'm being forced to be friends with a girl that has mastered being fake. And I mean beauty guru fake.

~~~
(Next Day)

I stand at the bus stop, staring at my phone the whole time to escape Ava's stare. I can just tell that she's looking at me. I get on the bus and put my bookbag beside me to prevent anyone from sitting next to me just as Ava walks past my seat.

I see her eyebrows lift up when I do it. I honestly feel proud. If Cameron thinks I'm petty now, he hasn't seen my real pettiness. Shortly, the bus arrives at the school. When I get off the bus, I see Cameron. I jog over to him. Hopefully, Ava hasn't seen him yet.

"The devil is here." I say once I reach Cameron.

"David is already here?"

"No, actually, I don't know, but I wasn't talking about him. You know that girl that was eyeing your sweatpants at IHOP?"

"That waitress wasn't staring at my sweatpants. Based on the amount of times you tell me this, you're probably the one who was staring at my sweatpants." He says, slightly smirking.

"Whatever, shut up, Ava is here."

"Oh, that's nice."

I jump up and lightly tap him on his forehead. I had to jump because of his height.

"Why'd you do that?" Cameron asks, putting his hand on his forehead.

"You were being smart, therefore you got repercussions for that exact reason."

"Deja, don't take this the wrong way, but you're insane. She's just a female receiving education."

"Female dog that is. She called me dumb."

"Now, when did she do that?"

"Okay so, I was walking outside, right?"

"I don't want to hear another Deja story."

"Wait, this one is important. I reached the end of the neighborhood when I saw a moving truck in front of a house. I went down there and saw a girl that looked an awful lot like Ava. Turns out, it was Ava."

"Wow, such a great story, ten out of ten."

"I'm serious, Ava is a pain in my side. She's equivalent to a menstrual cramp."

"Well, based off of what I hear from my sister, those hurt like hell so, I'll believe you."

Finally, he believes me and doesn't think that I'm just making things up.

"Thank you." I say.

"Once I see it."

Ah man, why'd he have to trick me like that?

"The girl tried to slap me." I inform, with my hands out.

"Wow, what a catfight."

I look at Cameron like he's stupid. Why can't he take me seriously? I roll my eyes because of my annoyance. Speaking of eye rolls and annoyance, as Cameron and I near the entrance, I can't help but notice Ava.

"Um, excuse me, do you know where the counselor's office is?" Ava says after tapping on Cameron's shoulder.

"Yeah, once you come in, you make a left and it should be on the left side."

"That sounds like a lot. Why don't you just show me the way?" Ava suggests.

I have the urge to vomit. Her trying so hard is making me cringe.

Cameron looks at my disapproving face before looking back at Ava.

"I don't know, class starts soon." Cameron says.

"C'mon, I'm new here."

Cameron looks back at me before saying, "Actually, Deja is great at giving directions."

Really, Cameron? Is that how he wants to be now? Is he really trying to top the petty queen?

I see Ava look the other direction before asking, "Oh, really?"

"Yeah, let's go." I say, resisting the urge to fall into a hole.

As I walk into the school, I turn around to see a laughing Cameron. Why'd he have to play me like that?

"Yeah, Cameron's really cute." Ava says before walking into Mr. Davis' office.

She already knew where it was. I didn't even have to show her.

Vote, Comment, Share, Follow

I might not update for the next two days because I'm going on a very brief vacation. I'll update if I have time.