Ch. 49- Make Him Mad

~~~
(Next Day)

Deja's POV

I get off the bus and walk into the school. Of course, Cameron tries to stop me, but I ignore his voice. How is he gonna break my heart and then act like everything is good? Something happened and that situation should be acknowledged.

I've been in too many situations. I should start naming them like hurricanes. How do they name hurricanes anyway?

Anyway, I walk to my locker and have Ava already waiting for me. Why is she at my locker?

"Hi, Deja." She greets as I walk up.

"Hi, Ava?"

"Why'd that come out as a question?"

"You never talk to me in such fashion."

"Well, you did help me out during the weekend so, I find it fitting to be nicer."

"Well, be a nice person and move so I can get in my locker."

She moves away from my locker, catching me off guard. I didn't necessarily give my order in the nicest way. I thought that she'd make a snarky comment and then move. Actually, I think that she wouldn't move.

"Thanks?" I say before putting in my combination.

"No problem, Deja."

She smiles and then walks off. Why is she suddenly nicer to me? She probably wants something, but what is that something? Obviously, I don't know, but I hope she can hurry up and tell me. I don't have the time to stress over things that haven't happened yet.

I put some of my books in there and close it. I walk to Trigonometry, passing Cameron in the hallway. I walk in the class to see David already sitting in his seat. I sit next to him in my usual seat. I should try to be a little friendly.

"So, did you get a date yet?" I ask.

"No. Also, I saw that Ava girl. She's not my type."

"Oh, so she doesn't have a heartbeat?"

"Haha, very funny."

"Yes, it is funny."

"Yeah, it's sad to the point where you can laugh at it. At least you have a date."

Actually, I don't, but oh well.

"Wait you don't have a date? What happened?" David asks.

Wait, did I say that aloud? Obviously, I did. If I try and backtrack, will he catch me or will my plan work out?

"What do you mean?" I ask. "I have a date."

"Sure you do."

"Ok fine, I don't have a date, but it's not a big deal."

"It's funny to hear that come out of the mouth of Deja, the girl who makes a big deal out of Homecoming."

"Well, Deja isn't going to Homecoming because she's not about to look lonely in front of the school."

"Did you get a dress yet?"

"Yeah, but it can stay in the closet. I don't really care."

"I'm pretty sure that you care about a dress that you probably paid hundreds of dollars for."

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. Anyone who isn't in my brain will never know."

"I'd hate to see that money go to waste, you know? If I were you, I wouldn't care if I looked lonely or not because I would be getting my money's worth."