A Lead (32)

• Dédié à All the nice people who love this story

Chapter 32

She stirred the batter furiously, knowing that in a few minutes Jared would be coming over with her brother. It had been a few days since he had asked her to forgive him and since then he had started doing odd jobs around her house, including playing football with her brother. Did he really think that he was going to win back her heart that quickly?

She scoffed, putting the bowl down and added the remaining chocolate powder and vanilla. She was baking a cake, just because she was bored. Summer vacation was not boring as she thought it would have been, because Jared was there.

 “We’re home!!”

 She looked through the kitchen doorway and waited for the boys to come. And when they did, Jared came running over, her brother hot at his heels.

“I won!” yelled Jared after grabbing her around her waist, pulling her up against him. It was an understatement to say that she was surprised. She had frozen up in shock, her hands almost letting go of the bowl if Jamie hadn’t caught it.

“Whoa there,” he said and set it down on the counter. And she realized that the idiot hadn’t let go of her still. Instead he was sniffing her hair.

“You smell good Danny,” he whispered against her ear. What the—

She pushed him away, totally embarrassed, and blushing red. She couldn’t forget the way his breath brushed her cheek when he said that.

“Like what?” asked her stupid brother.

“Roses….and chocolate,” said the older idiot decisively dipping his finger into the batter and licking it off. “Mmm… this stuff is good.” He dipped another finger and held it in front of her, completely oblivious to her uncomfortable state.

“Here.”

She glared at the finger covered with dark batter. For some silly reason she wanted to lick it off, just like he did. And just the way he wanted her to do now. But—

“Are you as stupid as you look? Even though you are blonde, I couldn’t have imagined you to be affected by it!”

“What? What did I do wrong now?” he asked, lowering his hand. She sighed. “Jared, remember that I am not your girlfriend. And its high time for you to find a new one if you start doing ridiculous stuff like these to me!”

He pouted. “But Danny I don’t want a new girlfriend. I need you back.” His blue eyes sparkled as he said that and the inner romantic in her sighed at those words. If only he meant them…But her brain kicked in and she was back to her senses.

She smacked a hand on her forehead and muttered, “Hopeless. You are hopeless.”

“Yeah hopeless,” chimed in Tyler as he jumped on the counter and sat on it.

“No no, you aren’t getting that!” she cried taking the batter away from him and said, "Go watch some T.V Jamie!”

He pouted, strangely resembling Jared. Don’t tell me that he is imitating him? Is this hero worship I’m seeing here?

“Urgh. No, that won’t work on me. Show it to the girls in your class.”

Jared looked at her strangely. “But I do it to you all the time,” he said raising an eyebrow. “And it works.”

“Sometimes,” she hissed at him. “You go watch T.V too.” She waved her arm at him imperiously making him laugh.

“Yes Ma’am.” But then instead of leaving, he bent, and dropped a kiss on her nose.