That Guy (33)

Sorry for the late upload. :) And there's Alexis for you-->

Vote

Comment

Fan

~Daisy

Chapter 33

He was walking to his afternoon class when he saw an unfamiliar man walking down the main corridor, looking through the glass into classrooms. Ash frowned. He looked…shifty.

Walking nearer, he asked, “Hey. How can I help you?”

The man looked up, startled. He was clearly Hispanic from the colour of his skin and the set of his eyes. Ash couldn’t help but wonder what he was doing here. He didn't seem old enough to be married to adopt a child…

“Err…no thanks.” He grinned but Ash wasn’t reassured. If you see those faint scars on his skin you can see that this guy here got into a lot of fights. That itself spoke a lot.

He was in front of him now and realized that the man was shorter and that he could intimidate him easily. But first…He noticed the man’s eyes flick to his ID then he smiled politely.

“Oh, so you are one of the teachers here?”

He nodded, noting that his accent can't be detected. “And you are?”

“I’m actually looking for a kid for my sister.” He motioned his hand to one of the classes and said, “That lady at the office told me to take a look.”

“Oh.” He stepped away and inclined his head. “Then please do. Have a good day.”

The man stuck his hand out and Ash obligingly gave his. It took his a second to realize that he had a finger missing in his right hand. He didn't let his surprise show and walked away, glancing back as he turned the corner to see the guy looking at him rather suspiciously.

Ash frowned slightly as he entered his class. He seemed like a predator. The type we are.

It was a few days later when he got a call from Nate with news. He gripped the phone in his hand, tensing at the latest developments Nate told him.

“What? They sell these kids?”

“Yeah. They sell their organs,” said Nate’s grim voice over the phone. Ash’s eyes widened.

“What?” he exclaimed. Several others in the cafeteria turned to look at him. Giving an apologetic grin, he stood up, cradling the phone between his head and shoulder. He picked up his coffee and walked out silently.

“Ok. Now talk,” he said, going out to the grounds. He walked down the path to the place where he had that chat with Grace earlier.

“No one around right?” asked Nate.

“Nope.” He sat down at the bench, facing the building so that he could see if anyone was nearby.

"We got a lead on this guy who is dealing with Brackman. Headquarters say that he is a drug dealer who has connections with the Mafia and that he is rather evasive. He has not been caught once.”

“Oh? Why?”

“He is just good at hiding I guess. But we shouldn’t worry about that. Just focus on our thing.”

“Which is?” he asked, sipping on his coffee.

“Well, this man we have here…I figured that he would most probably come around to see his quarry.”

“To the orphanage? But I thought—”

“So did I. But I think he is the person who does the actual work though.”

“Hmm…do you have any details of him? I’ll keep an eye out.”

“So far we know that he’s Hispanic.” At that, a chill passed through his spine.

It couldn’t be—

“And handsome from female’s eyes—” Ash thought about the man he met earlier and decided that it was too much of a coincidence.

“And the most important fact was—”

“He had a finger missing in his right hand?” asked Ash.

“Shit. So he was there?” asked Nate, his voice a little stunned and excited.

“Am I right?”

“Yes!!! When—?”

“Two days ago. I actually talked to him. He said that he was looking for a kid for his sister. He was looking at the children when I saw him.”

“This is just our luck,” cried Nate. He gave a whoop through the phone and Ash chuckled.

“Now you just have to wait till he comes back ok?”

“Yeah yeah.”

“And in the meantime, talk to some of the kids here about the sudden disappearances and what they think of it. Especially on how the kids were taken away ok?”

“Yessir.”

 ~

Nate placed his phone in the single pocket of his apron, a grin forming on his face. He stared at the kitchen tiles, plans forming in his mind, already putting things together.

So if this guy comes back again, which he probably will, Ash will let them know and…he’ll decide it at that time. But now, he had to focus on something else.

He glanced down at the fruit salad he was supposed to be making. Yes, Nate the team leader of this mission, has been ordered to make fruit salad. By a mere midget of a person.

He picked up the knife and chopped up the papaya which had been lying on the cutting board.

“Why am I doing this?” he wondered again. Oh yeah. He had to help the others who were stupid enough to drink last night to get rid of their hangover. 

“Noo!!!! Switch off the bloody thing!!” wailed Cole from the living room. The T.V was immediately switched off. It seemed that only Nate and Kyle had not touched a drink last night. Even Alexis was groaning about it but she was infinitely better when compared to Cole and Cheryl.

He sighed, shaking his head, what was he supposed to do with these people?

 “I’m back,” said Alexis softly. She gave a glance towards the living room and bit her lip.

“He seems to be in pain huh?”

Nate shrugged, looking away from her reddening lips. Alexis was rather cute today, wearing an apron of her own. And when thinking about that satisfying morning kiss, Nate was amiable to anything today.

“Now we need to put the bananas then it’s done.” She clapped her hands once then glanced at him. A smirk skirted her lips.

“What?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You look rather cute wearing an apron.”

Nate felt his cheeks heat up slightly. “Shut up! It’s just because I didn't want to ruin these clothes.”

“You’d make a good wife someday,” she added teasingly.

He scowled.