•12•

"KRISTEN!" Charlie shouted from the bunk area. I groan as I sit on the couch.

"WHAT?!" I answer and hear him growl and get up, then a few seconds later see his scowling face pop in the doorway.

"We're eating in 10 minutes," he deadpans while staring me right in the eye. Instead of looking away, I stare right back at him with narrow eyes. Two can play at this game.

"Fine," I spit and he rolls his eyes before disappearing behind the door again. Probably going to talk to Bella; not shocking to be honest.

Bella and Charlie had gotten closer. A LOT closer since I've started treating Charlie as if I don't still love him. But the truth is...I do. I'll always love him no matter how hard I try not to and there is nothing I can do about that. I fell in love with him so hard and fast that I can't control the outcome, no matter how ugly it may be.

"Hey, gorgeous," I hear Charlie's obviously raised voice say into the phone. I'm not gonna lie; it hurts. It always will hurt to know he's with someone else that's not me but he obviously doesn't care that much, so I'm trying not to. And he knows just how to rub it in.

I listen to their mushy phone call until the bus eventually stops at a restaurant in New Mexico somewhere. Unfortunately, we didn't have a show today which meant even more quality time with Charlie.

We sat down at a table for four with Peggy and Lili. Our waiter brought chips and our drink order before scurrying off with our entrée choices.

The silence was deafening. Sometimes awkward eye contact would be made with Charlie, who was on his phone. Occasionally I would sneak a glance at Lili for help. Eventually, she cleared her throat.

"So, what's new, guys? Any new music?" She asked enthusiastically. I simply shrugged and looked at Charlie for his explanation.

"Supposed to be," he muttered without looking up. I felt a twinge of pain and guilt in my chest, knowing he was talking about our duet.

"And?" Lili questioned, glancing from me to Charlie.

"Didn't work out," he simply stated. He put his phone away and gazed at me sternly.

"Some things just don't work out," his eyes were still fixated on mine. I couldn't break his magnetic stare. Those eyes, goddamn those eyes. They held a world full of possibilities, yet they were staring so coldly at me, someone might think I started World War III.

His hazel eyes finally flickered away from mine which filled my entire body with relief. Our food was delivered and we all ate rather quickly. Lili picked up the check while Charlie and I headed to the bus. My phone began to buzz just as I climbed onto the bus. Mom.

"Hey Mom," I answer, attempting to sound happy.

"Sweetheart, hi!" She gladly exclaimed. Her voice made me happy just to head over the phone.
"Lili sent me some videos from last night, honey, you were fabulous."

I grin to myself.
"Thank you, Mommy," I say and hear her laugh softly.

"So, how's everything?" She questioned and I sighed.

"Fine, actually," I say.
"Just ate some lunch and now we're getting back on the bus."

"Oh, sounds good, sweetheart," she replies.
"Well, I'll let you go now, okay?"

"Okay, Mom," I'm a little sad to end the call so soon.
"I love you."

"I love you more, Kristen Rose," I can hear her enormous smile over the phone and all I want right now is to hug her. She hangs up and I feel my eyes tear up at little as Charlie slides past me into the bus. I tell my mom everything, she's always been there for me. And now that's she's not here my heart hurts even more.

I plop down onto the couch and begin to write in my journal. I write best when I'm sad anyway. The bus begins to move when I hear my phone ringing again. Shawn.

"Well that didn't take long," I answer and hear him let out a breathy laugh.

"A true gentleman never makes a lady wait, you know," his smooth voice remarks and practically makes my heart melt.

"Well, aren't you sweet," I smile and I can hear the happiness in his voice.

"It's the least I can do, considering all you've been through," he says.

"Shawn, if you're doing this to be ni-"

"I'm not doing this out of sympathy, Kristen. I was calling to say that, ever since I've met you last night, I can't stop thinking about you. And I really wanna see you again," he states and my heart flutters.

"Shawn," I begin.
"I haven't stopped thinking about you for a second."

I can hear his wide grin.
"Well, I guess we should meet up pretty soon then, eh?"

I bite my bottom lip.
"Oh, we definitely should," I imply as he sighs.

"If only you weren't on tour," he mutters sadly. My heart sinks in my chest.

"I know, but it's only for 4 1/2 more months," I state and he laughs softly.

"Yeah, it's not that long," his sarcastic voice remarks, making me smile.

"We'll make it work, Shawn, I promise," I whisper so maybe Charlie won't hear us.

"Hey, hey," he whispers on the other line.
"No promises, okay?"

I smile, thinking of his song.
"Okay," I reply.

"I'll see you around, Kristen," he remarks.

"You too, Shawn," I answer.

"Bye, beautiful," he compliments from the phone's speaker. I blush and smile softly to myself.

"Bye."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's short xxxxx