04 | DUMB BLONDE

04 | DUMB BLONDE

THE NEXT DAY AT school, we began working on simple math problems, which I didn't mind

THE NEXT DAY AT school, we began working on simple math problems, which I didn't mind. I've learned this stuff already, but I acted as if it were new information.

I heard Billy Andrews tease Anne from across the classroom, and I watched from afar as she got more and more angered. I knew Anne had a bad temper, and Anne could hold it in of course, but I knew if he said one more thing she might burst.

"Catch the stick, doggy! Ruff! Ruff! Come on, doggy!" Billy teased, poking Anne with a stick he found on the ground this morning.

"Shut up!" Anne yelled, smacking Billy square in the jaw with her chalkboard.

My mouth froze open. Anne had just hit a boy, and cracked her chalkboard. Man, she was stronger than I thought. Mr. Phillips turned around furiously.

"Anne Shirley! What is the meaning of this?" Mr. Phillips shouted, causing all of us to freeze.

"Ohhhhh," Billy taunted, chuckling along with his friends.

"Stand at the blackboard for the rest of the day. I will not tolerate this kind of indignant temperment in my class!" Mr. Phillips yelled, as Anne walked up to the front of the classroom.

'Anne Shirley has a very bad temper, and she will learn to control it.' Mr. Phillips wrote on the large chalkboard in the front of the class. "Now, you will stand here in front of the class for the rest of the day until you learn to control your temper."

Everyone began to laugh, but I remained quiet. I could tell Anne was having a hard time, because her eyes started to water, and she looked to be zoning out.

All of a sudden, she took a step forward, then another step. Ignoring the teachers calls, Anne walked out of the classroom without a word. I watched out the window as she ran back to Green Gables.

"Okay, get back to your lessons." Mr. Phillips said sternly, as girls began to gossip and boys started to joke around.

I glanced over at Gilbert, who was already glancing over at me. It seemed to be several minutes before I realized that we were staring at each other. I shook out my thoughts and started to work on the math problems again.

A couple days passed, and Anne was never to be seen. It seemed to everyone that she wouldn't come back. The boys started to get bored, and I was their new target to mess around with, since I was the "new girl" as well.

We were assigned to read a book, and that was my main focus right now. But the problem was, I couldn't focus because a certain boy wouldn't leave me alone.

"Pssst." Gilbert whispered to me from across the classroom.

I glanced at him, then forced myself to look away. I can't talk to him. Not after I just made new friends and promised I wouldn't talk to him.

After noticing that I was ignoring him, he threw a piece of chalk at me, causing Ruby to glance over at me from a few tables up. I looked at her with worry, but I could tell she was watching my every move.

I looked back down at my book, hoping that he would just give up. But he didn't. I saw out of the corner of my eye that he got up out of his seat and started walking over to me.

"You're going to ignore me?" Gilbert whispered, kneeling down next to me to pick up the piece of chalk he threw.

Once he sat back up, his face was only inches away from mine. My heart was beating fast, but I couldn't show him any satisfaction.

Don't talk to him. Don't talk to him. Don't talk to him.

"Hey, dumb blonde." Gilbert teased, causing my cheeks to turn red with fury.

Nobody calls me a dumb blonde.

I stood up on anger, but just as I did, the school bell went off, signaling it was time to go. I thanked god for this convenience and packed my stuff up, ignoring Gilbert's calls.

I grabbed my hat and stormed out of the schoolhouse, not minding to wait for Diana. I was so furious with Gilbert, that I ignored everything around me.

"Hey! Wait!" Gilbert called after me, but I continued to walk through the forest with my head held high.

Gilbert jogged up to me and gently grabbed my arm, turning me around.

"Don't touch me!" I shouted, pulling my arm away from his grip forcefully. "You're a jerk!"

This seemed to surprise Gilbert, because he blinked like he was a little hurt. But I couldn't care less if I hurt his feelings, because he hurt mine.

Just a moment after, Diana came running up to us, panting, "Why-did-you-leave-so-fast."

I shook my head and turned back to Gilbert, who hasn't taken his eyes off me since we left the schoolhouse.

"Look, I'm sorry I called you a dumb blonde." He said, looking at me with worry and confusion. "Are you seriously going to stay mad at me?"

I looked at him with slight anger, "Yes I am seriously going to stay mad at you. Let's go, Diana."

I grabbed Diana's arm and began to walk back to the Barrys' house. After a few moments go not speaking, Diana decided to break the silence.

"Wait, that's what this is about? Samantha, Gilbert always makes fun of the girls. He calls me crow-head all the time. But, I've never heard him apologize before." Diana said, looking up at me cautiously.

"There is a huge difference between calling someone a crow-head and calling someone a dumb blonde. That boy just insulted my intelligence, and being a girl, I find that very offensive. I know you would too." I spat, still looking straight forward.

"I suppose." Diana said, looking down. "But Gilbert doesn't mean it. You know that."

"Do I?" I ask.

Diana shrugged, and continued to walk.

"It's better if I'm mad at him, right?" I asked suddenly, turning to Diana. "For Ruby's sake."

"Of course," She said. "For Ruby's sake."

screw ruby, you can't hate this angel forever samantha!