29 | RETURN TO THE MANOR

AS THE CARRIAGE PULLED up to the large manor, memories flooded back into my mind like a river

AS THE CARRIAGE PULLED up to the large manor, memories flooded back into my mind like a river. It seemed like only yesterday when Thomas, Charlie, Andrew, and I were fooling around in the corridor and getting yelled at by the maids. Only yesterday when we had planned to escape this lifestyle and go back to reality. To be back here without the three of them...it seemed so strange.

Gilbert griped by hand tightly in his as the carriage came to a halt. He must have sensed how scared I was—I seemed to be shaking.

"Hey," Gilbert said, looking into my eyes. "It will be okay. I promise. I'm right here with you."

I nodded slightly, turning my head to face the grand staircase that lead up to the front door of the manor. As I did so, I spotted two figures walking down the stairwell with their hands folded neatly together. My parents had not changed at all—not that I had expected them to.

As the butler opened the carriage doors, I took a handful of my gown and pulled it up, trying my best not to step on it and fall. As I successfully stepped out of the carriage, I met eyes with my mother and father, who's expressions shared happiness and sympathy.

"Samantha," my mother's voice rang. "It is such a pleasure that you decided to join us—with your friends as well, I see."

I turned around and met eyes with my three friends, who shifted awkwardly behind me due to the uncomfortable atmosphere. I couldn't blame them, though. Certainly nobody in their right mind would be used to coming into a royal lifestyle on such short notice.

"Mother, father," I spoke, ushering them to the three behind me. "This is Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, Diana Barry, and Gilbert Blythe."

My parents eyes shifted to Gilbert as they noticed our intertwined fingers. I decided to let out a small cough, signaling that we should be heading inside.

"Right," my father said, looking Gilbert up and down one last time. "Well, welcome to our manor. Julia here will be showing you to your rooms and get you fitted for the ball. If you need anything, let her or one of the other assistants know."

The three of my friends nodded, and Diana let it a small squeal of joy. We then followed my parents the large staircase, entering the manor.

Julia, one of my mothers assistants, then shuffled quickly up to us, "Hello, dears. I'm Julia, and I will be showing you to your rooms. Follow me now, pip-pip."

Anne turned to me and smiled, "My, my, Samantha. This house is outstandingly breathtaking!"

I gave Anne a small smile as she admired every inch of the manor, along with Diana—who tried to keep her cool while walking past the ballroom.

"So, you lived here?" Gilbert asked me, glancing around the long hallway decorated with paintings.

"For two years," I answered, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ears. "It was a lot to take in at first, but I got used to the routine over time."