13 | WAKING UP

13 | WAKING UP

I WOKE UP WITH a blurred vision, causing me to blink my eyes until I could make out where I was

I WOKE UP WITH a blurred vision, causing me to blink my eyes until I could make out where I was. I had a pounding headache, making the whole situation worse.

"You're awake," I heard a voice say, then letting out a sigh of relief. "Thank god, I was starting to get worried."

Once I regained my vision, I saw a pair of familiar hazel eyes looking down at me. They were the eyes of Gilbert Blythe—the dazzling orbs that always seemed to take my breath away.

"W-where am I?" I questioned, attempting to sit up. Gilbert took his hand and rested it on my shoulder, gently placing me back down into a laying position.

"You're home, Samantha," Gilbert said, looking at me with worry and concern. "At the Barry's."

"I wouldn't call that home," I grumbled, sitting up and ignoring the painful side effects that came with the action. "How long have I been out?"

"For a couple days," He said, searching my eyes for any signs of dizziness or amnesia. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Positive," I said, sighing and looking at the boy across from me. "I'm sorry, not to be rude, but why are you here?"

"Well, the doctor was taking care of Minnie May, and nobody knew what to do when you passed out. Mrs. Barry then came to me and asked if I could help since I knew how to. Now, here I am." Gilbert said, a small smile appearing on his pink lips.

"Where is Dianna? Or Minnie May, are they alright?" I questioned again, looking at him with worry.

"Yes, they are both well and safe," He assured me, taking my hand in his to attempt to calm me down.

Might I say, it worked. I felt heat rise in my cheeks as my breathing finally started to slow down, but that didn't mean my heart did. I felt my heart speed up as I realized that our hands were still together.

"Thank you, Gilbert." I said, smiling kindly at the boy. "I mean it. Thank you for everything."

"It's no problem, really." He said, his cheeks turning a light pink shade, causing me to smile even bigger.

A few moments passed, and we were lost in each other's eyes as if we were in some sort of trance. Neither of us wanted to look away, because we felt that if we did, it would cause us to go back into reality. Somewhere neither of us wanted to be at this moment. We felt safe here, knowing that the presence of each other was all we needed right now.

I hadn't noticed before, but we were sitting extremely close to each other. Closer than we've ever been before. I don't know what came over me, but I felt myself leaning in, as did he. We were centimeters apart, our lips nearly touching.

And then the sound of a woman bursting through the door broke us apart before we got the chance.

"Gilbert! Gilbert come quick!" The woman yelled, her eyes filling with tears. "It's your father."

My heart stopped as Gilbert stood up as quickly as possible, "What do you mean?"

"H-he's not breathing! You have to come quick!" The woman yelled in panic.

Gilbert's eyes met mine, and all I could see was fear. Fear of what will happen when he goes home. Fear of what he will find. Fear of what he knew was going to happen, but not this soon.

"I'm sorry, I have to go." He said, too quickly for me to process.

Before I could say anything, he rushed out of the door with the woman trailing behind him. My heart began to beat rapidly as realization hit me. His father was dying, or maybe he was already dead. My heart broke at the thought. The thought of Gilbert rushing home to find his father laying on his bed, motionless and cold.

sorry for the short update! school has been hella stressful but i promise i will try to update as frequently as possible. i love you all so much ❤️