20 | THE PARTY

20 | THE PARTY

I AWOKE FROM MY SLEEP due to an extremely loud banging on my door

I AWOKE FROM MY SLEEP due to an extremely loud banging on my door. This surprised me, because we were taught in our classes to lightly knock on a door to practice politeness. After the banging stopped, my eyes slowly closed and I drifted off back to sleep. Unfortunately, the banging started again, only this time there came a voice.

"Samantha! Get up!" My mother said, causing me to sigh and drape back into bed. "You have to start getting ready for the party!"

At that word, I immediately sat back up. It took a few moments for my head to stop spinning from the sudden movement, causing me to put a slight pressure on it with the palm of my hand. I could feel my mind gradually come to realization to which I was supposed to be getting ready for a... party?

"Party?" I questioned, still trying to wake myself up. "Oh, right, fathers promotion party. Why do we have to get ready so early?"

"Because," My mother started, opening the door to my room and walking in. "It will take a long time to get ready, and knowing you, it will take extra long. I suggest you start getting ready now, for time passes very quickly."

I mumbled a "yes ma'am" and slowly got out of bed, rubbing my eyes. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and sat there for a moment, yawning and stretching my arms. I was never really a morning person ever since I came to London, which was quite odd because I didn't mind it back in Avonlea. I loved watching the sunrise—it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

Well, second most beautiful thing in the world.

"Stop thinking about him!" I sternly told my mind. "He is gone!"

I mentally forced my mind to forget its thoughts and focus on the task at hand. First, I decided to take a bath because my hair was extremely frizzy and tangled, which constantly bothered me. As the warm water embraced me, I gradually became more awake.

The only problem I had while taking a bath was how I never seemed to be able to get out of it. I always hated getting out of the water, because the second I did, the cold temperature consumed me.

As I finished taking my bath, I walked back into my room with a soft white cotton towel wrapped tightly around me. Before I could get dressed, the door opened, causing me to jump in shock, nearly knocking my towel off me.

"Oh, um, sorry," said Thomas, taking one glance at me and looking away quickly. "I didn't know you were, um, taking a bath."

I lightly chuckled as Thomas said, "I just wanted to ask you, which tie looks better?"

From behind his back, facing away from me, Thomas held up two different colored ties to me—one was black, and the other was grey. I chuckled at his sudden nervousness and said, "You don't have to turn around, Tommy. It's not like I'm actually naked,"