31 | THE ROYAL BALL: PART TWO

MY EYES NEVER LEFT THOMAS' gaze until Gilbert came back with two champaigne glasses in his hands

MY EYES NEVER LEFT THOMAS' gaze until Gilbert came back with two champaigne glasses in his hands. Looking between the two of us, Gilbert brows furrowed. As I shifted my gaze from one boy to the other, I pursed my lips and sighed, "Gilbert, this is Thomas. Thomas, Gilbert."

"I've heard a lot about you," said Gilbert, a smile tugging at his lips.

"As have I," replied Thomas.

I immediately snatched the glass from Gilbert and swallowed it whole. There was a slight bit of alcohol, because it was a royal ball—the prince only serving the most valuable beverages to his guests. My throat burned, but I opened my eyes and smiled, "Thomas, are you with anyone?"

"Actually, yes," Thomas informed, looking away from me and over to a maiden dressed in a light blue gown. "I accompanied Lady Adeline Densmore to the ball this evening."

"She looks...lovely," I complimented, glancing over to the girl. "May I ask, where are Charlie and Andrew?"

"Right this way, darling," said Thomas, picking his feet up and shifting his position. "Follow me."

As Gilbert and I followed Thomas, two boys resting by the buffet came into view. Beaming, I broke away from the group and ran as fast as I could in heels over to the two boys.

"Charlie! Andrew!" I called, causing the two to shift their gaze to me. Engulfing them into a hug, I beamed. "You have no idea how much I've missed you."

"Samantha!" shouted Charlie, breaking away from the hug and gawking at me. "We've missed you so much. It hasn't been the same since you left."

"What have you been up to?" I questioned, looking between the two boys.

"We've just been around," said Andrew, stuffing his face with whatever mystery food lay next to him. "Mostly partying."

"Oh, is that so," I said, giggling and crossing my arms. "It seems like you two have had all the fun. What about this piece of work."

Nudging Thomas who stood beside me, he chuckled, "I've been traveling. You know, sight seeing. There's so much of the world that I want to see."

"You remind me a little of myself," said Gilbert, smiling at Thomas. "Traveling is one of the most breathtaking journeys."

"It is indeed," breathed Thomas.

A smile tugged at Thomas' lips, and it made my heart happy to see the two boys get along so well. The moment was pure, and I never wanted it to go away. I had hope that these two boys would become good friends.

Everything seemed fall into place, up until a voice spoke, "Tommy, can we please go? I don't feel very well."

Thomas turned around to Lady Adeline Densmore, who pouted dramatically. I couldn't believe that Thomas ended up with someone like her—from what I could see, she was a snobby women who Thomas had only met this evening at the ball.