12 | HORRIBLE MEMORIES

TONIGHT WAS ONE OF the most terrifying  nights I have had in a while

TONIGHT WAS ONE OF the most terrifying  nights I have had in a while. My heart was beating out of my chest and sweat was beading on my forehead as if I were having a bad dream about losing someone important to me.

But the thing was, it wasn't a dream. I was staring at poor Minnie May who was dying right in front of me. I didn't know what to do. I've never seen or experienced anything like what she had, so I didn't know how to help her.

The only disease I am familiar with is Cholera—the sickness my father and brother had before they passed away. Awful disease, it was. But this? I've never seen anything like it.

"Samantha!" Diana called, cradling Minnie May in her arms. "Go get Anne! You're faster than me, and we don't have much time!"

I was about to protest, to say that I could watch Minnie May while Diana could go get Anne, but I knew that I could run fast and by the conditions of Minnie May, every second counts. Like Diana said, we didn't know how much longer Minnie May could hold on.

"I'll be right back," I said, throwing on my coat and picking up the lantern waiting on the table. "But, while I'm gone, make sure she gets fresh air. It helps with any sickness."

And with that, I flew out the door, running as fast as I could to the Cuthberts'. Walking in the snow, it would take about eight minutes. I arrived at the Cuthberts' home in four.

I burst through the door, immediately running through the dining hall and up the stairs to Anne's room.

"Anne! Help me!" I cried, causing her to jolt up in alert. "It's Minnie May, she's coughing real bad and she's starting to not be able to breathe. It's like something is blocking her airway and we need someone to help!"

Anne sprung up out of bed, "I think I know what it is. I've seen it before."

"We need to find Ms. Cuthbert," I said, looking out into the silent hallway.

"She went to go see the premiere," Anne said as she put on her boots and tied them in tight knots. "Did your aunt and uncle go as well?"

"Yes," I said quickly. "It's just Diana, Minnie May, Great Aunt Josefine, and I."

"Matthew!" shouted Anne. "Matthew! Come quick!"

"I've never seen anything like this. I didn't know what to do," I said, my heart racing.

"I have," Anne muttered.