10 | DRUNK PROBLEMS

10 | DRUNK PROBLEMS

AFTER EXPLAINING MY TRAGIC past, Gilbert was speechless

AFTER EXPLAINING MY TRAGIC past, Gilbert was speechless. For a while all I could hear was the crunching sound of the leaves as we walked through the silent forest.

"Oh my gosh," He finally said, the autumn wind blowing through his brown hair. "I had no idea, I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologize," I said, looking up at him. "None of this is even remotely your fault."

"I know, but I have been rude. Calling you a dumb blonde, not respecting your space—things were hard for you and I made them worse." said Gilbert.

"You actually made things better," I said in a matter-of-fact tone, causing him to look at me in surprise. "You're the only person around here who I can really talk to."

"Really?" Gilbert asked, smirking to himself. "I didn't expect that. I know you aren't on good terms with most of the girls in Avonlea, but don't you have Diana or Anne?"

"I thought I did, but I then realized that Diana and Anne had became extremely close friends before I even arrived here. And when I blew my chance with the rest of the girls in Avonlea, I knew I wouldn't have anyone. But I'm used to it, I'm almost like a lone wolf." I said, giggling at the last sentence.

Gilbert chuckled, than looked back at me, "Well, if it's okay with you, I'll be there when you need someone."

"Really?" I asked hopefully, looking into his hazel eyes.

"Of course," He said, smiling.

Suddenly, Gilbert pulled me into a hug. Not just a lousy side hug—an actual comforting hug. I was surprised at first, but after a few seconds I wrapped my arms around him, letting him comfort me. He smelt of vanilla and I couldn't get enough.

I haven't been hugged in quite a long time, so this was the best feeling in the world. He made me feel like I was finally home.

"I'm sorry," he said, suddenly pulling away which made me a bit sad. "I just thought you needed someone to comfort you after all you've been through."

"You're right," I said, blushing. "Thank you again, Gilbert."

"My pleasure," He beamed.

I hadn't realized, but I was already at the Barrys'. We took the long way home, and it was definitely worth it. I didn't want to leave Gilbert, but Mrs. Barry was probably worried since I hadn't yet returned home.