08 | DON'T GET TOO CLOSE

MY HEAD WAS POUNDING from the area where Josie's fist impacted my face

MY HEAD WAS POUNDING from the area where Josie's fist impacted my face. I rubbed circles on my temples but it didn't help at all. Sharp pains would often tingle up my leg, causing me to wince every few minutes. Man, I was a mess.

"Sorry I took so long," Gilbert said, rushing in with a blanket and some other things that looked to be medicine. "My father needed some help."

"With what?" I asked curiously, as Gilbert wrapped the blanket around me and handed me medicine to drink.

I drank the medicine and sat the empty bottle back down.

Gilbert sighted, and sat on the ground across from me, "He's really sick, and he's not getting better. I needed to make him some food."

My eyes widened as did my mouth, and my stomach dropped.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I'm such a horrible person... I shouldn't have asked that." I said, taking a deep breath and putting my hands over my face.

"No, it's okay. You didn't know." He assured me.

"God, you must think I'm awful," I said, lightly chuckling while shaking my head. "I'm so rude to you, and you're so nice to me."

"You're not rude, Samantha." He said, handing me a mug of tea. "If anything, I was. I kept bothering you even though you told me to stop."

"It's not like I minded it—" I started, but stopped when I realized what I was saying.

"What?" Gilbert asked, looking up at me hopefully.

I took a deep breath and sighed, "Do you want me to tell you why I was never able to talk to you?"

"If that's what you want, then yes." He said, taking a sip of tea.

Here it goes.

"So, I moved here from Kingston and nobody knew me or my backstory. I was completely new. I could start over; have a new life. I moved in with my cousin, Diana, and her family. As you know, Diana is friends with Ruby Gillis and Josie Pye. On my first day, I wanted to fit in as much as possible. Do you remember when you helped me out when Billy was hitting on me and I pushed you away instead of properly thanking you?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

Gilbert nodded, resting his hand on his chin, signaling that he was listening intently.

"Well, I noticed that Ruby and Josie were infuriated with me while I was standing there with you. And I didn't want my friendship with them to be destroyed on my first day, so I pushed you away. I got a stern talking to, and they told me that I wasn't allowed to talk to you because multiple girls have been in love with you for years. I thought it would be easy to ignore you, but it turned out to be the most difficult thing in my life. Gilbert, I really wanted to befriend you but I was desperate for real friends. Even though they weren't anything close to that." I muttered, sighing.

"If you told me this I wouldn't have bothered you, Samantha. But what happened today?" Gilbert asked, getting up and sitting by my side, our shoulders almost touching.

"Remember yesterday after the spelling bee when you asked me to talk in private?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Well, today, a group of girls were quite upset with me doing so, and I got beaten for not listening to what Ruby had told me on my first day. They said that I didn't belong. Then, Josie told me that I was forbidden to talk to you ever again or it will get worse. Gilbert, I don't know what to do." I cried, leaning onto his shoulder.

He put his arm around me and pulled me in, holding me tightly.

"Shhh," Gilbert whispered. "It's going to be alright. Was anyone there watching?"

"Yes," I sniffled, looking up at him. "Billy and his friends were there, but all they did was laugh and point at me."

At Billy's name, Gilbert's jaw clenched.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get there sooner. I was late because I was helping my father and—" Gilbert explained, but I cut him off.

"Hey, your father is way more important than I am. I may be hurt, but I can deal with the pain. Your father needs you." I said, looking into his beautiful eyes.

I suddenly realized how close we were to each other—our noses were nearly touching. I was lost in a trance, but I immediately snapped out of it.

"I'm sorry," I said, so suddenly that it caused him to jump a little.

"For what?" Gilbert asked worriedly.

"I'm not supposed to get close." I muttered, scooting over until we were at least a foot apart.

Gilbert sighed, "Samantha, as long as you're with me, nobody can hurt you."

"It's not about the girls," I said, looking away. "It's about me and my luck. Life has tended to rip away people who I get close to."

"Would it make you feel better if you told me?" Gilbert asked softly.

"I've never told anyone my backstory. I promised myself I would keep it a secret, so I could truly start a new life." I said as i looked back over to him.

"I understand," Gilbert said, looking back down at my leg. "How does it feel?"

"Better." I said, looking down.

"Would you like to try and stand?" He asked. "I will help you, of course."

I nodded shyly and placed both of my hands on the ground, pushing myself up. Gilbert held onto me and helped me stand. I then tried to take a step, and the pain was less excruciating than before. It was almost back to how it was before. I had a slight limp, but I didn't mind.

"I did it!" I beamed, turning back to Gilbert who smiled brightly.

"That's amazing," Gilbert said, his perfect smile making my knees weak. "Almost as good as new."

"Thank you, Gilbert. For everything. I am beyond thankful." I said, smiling and running up to him.

I almost stretched my arms out to hug him, but then stopped in my tracks. I couldn't hug him—not yet. I didn't want him to think we were anything more than friends. I wish we were, but I'm scared of what will happen to him if I get too close.

I simply stretched my hand out, and Gilbert shook it gladly.

"Well, I'll see you later?" I said, my heart hurting at the action of leaving him.

"Guess so," Gilbert said as I began to walk away. "Hey, Samantha?"

I quickly stopped walking and turned around, "Yes?"

"Take care of yourself." He said, smiling softly.

I smiled and nodded, "You too."

He chuckled and headed back in the direction of his house. I turned around and started to walk, the thought of Gilbert Blythe never leaving my mind.

finally they are both happy:) too bad it won't last long..