05 | NEARLY KILLED

05 | NEARLY KILLED

"Samantha! Get up! Get up!" shouted Diana, as she was shaking me violently

"What?" I groaned, slowly opening my eyes.

"There's been a fire! Get up and grab all the buckets you can!" Mrs. Barry yelled from the hallway.

I immediately shot up out of bed and ran towards my closet, throwing on a heavy white coat. I looked out my window to see a bright orange light gleaming from afar. That was Ruby's house.

"Diana! It's Ruby!" I yelled, running down the stairs. "It's the Gillis' house!"

"Poor Ruby," Diana said, putting on her jacket.

I handed Diana two buckets and took four myself. Diana and I then raced to the carriage and hopped inside along with Mr. and Mrs. Barry. Minnie May was too young to go, so she stayed home with Great Aunt Josephine. I could hear distant screams coming from the house, and that only startled me more.

It normally took five minutes to get to Ruby's house, but we got there in four. When arriving, I noticed half the town was at the house trying to put out the fire.

I jumped out of the carriage and rushed towards the buckets, handing one to each of the men. Most of the boys were already trying to put out the fire, but I noticed a familiar one up on the roof.

It was Gilbert.

He was trying to put out the fire upstairs, and he was sitting against the windowsill pouring buckets after buckets of water into the burning building.

"Samantha!" A familiar voice called.

I turned around to see Anne and Diana standing next to each other, smiling happily. I knew Diana had missed Anne dearly, and I was happy that they were together again. I wish I had a best friend like that.

I waved and smiled slightly, but was startled when I heard the sound of glass shattering. I looked up to see that the fire had taken out the windows. But as I looked through the windows, I recognized that the doors were all open.

"A-Anne?" I asked, pointing up to the windows. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

Fire obviously needed oxygen to spread. So why were the doors all open?

"The doors! Oh no, what should we do?" Anne asked me, while Diana looked at the both of us with confusion.

"Anne, we don't have much time," I began, my eyes searching for the entrances of the house. "I need you to take the downstairs windows and close them, I'll go upstairs and do the same, okay?"