24 | THE BRITISH BOY

THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS of traveling back to Canada was quite challenging, especially since I had no idea where I was supposed to be going most of the time

THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS of traveling back to Canada was quite challenging, especially since I had no idea where I was supposed to be going most of the time. I had asked for help over and over, but some people were extremely rude.

I had started to lose hope as if I were never going to find my way back home. Well, until I accidentally bumped into a tall figure which caused both of us to fall over.

"Oh my gosh," I said, scrambling to grab all of my things on the floor and glancing up at the boy who had helped himself up. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry, love," The boy said, chuckling and stretching out his hand. "Let me help you up."

"Thank you," I said, taking his hand and standing up.

"You aren't from around here, are you?" The boy asked, smiling. "You look bloody confused."

"Is it that obvious?" I asked, laughing as I placed one hand on my hip and another on my forehead. "I'm just trying to find my way back home, but the problem is, I have no idea where home is."

"Well, lucky for you, I know London by heart," The boy said, causing me to sigh in relief. "It's a good thing we met, huh?"

"Yeah, it is," I said, smiling and stretching out my hand. "I'm Samantha, by the way. Samantha Darling."

"I'm Jack," The boy replied, shaking my hand gently. "Jack Evans."

"Well, Jack, before you help me navigate my way across the country, is there anything I should know about you first?" I asked, slightly laughing.

"Like what?" He asked, slightly smirking.

"Well, I don't know," I said, trying to think. "How old are you?"

"Seventeen," Jack replied. "You?"

"Sixteen," I said, smiling. "Now more importantly, are you a kidnapper? Or a murderer? I mean, you don't seem like the type, but there are creeps everywhere."

Jack only chuckled, "No, Samantha, I am not any of those things. But, I'm not your typical loving British boy who adores his mum and spends hours reading Romeo and Juliet."

"Awe," I said, fake pouting. "I was hoping for that."

"Really?" Jack asked, his face dropping. "That's a tad bit disappointing."

"No, I'm only kidding," I joked, giggling. "But really, what are you like? It's okay to be different, you know."

Jack chuckled and shook his head, "Well, I live with my aunt up in Winchester, but I'm never there much. Im sort of a traveler, which is a bit wonky to her, but she understands. It's just hard for me to stay in one place, you know?"

"Surprisingly, I do." I replied, smiling. "You'd never guess what I've done in the past year."

"Now that's a bit dodgy," Jack said, causing me to chuckle. "Should I be worried about you?"

"No, no," I said, smiling reassuringly. "Nothing bad, I promise. It's just that who I thought were my parents had died when I was a child. But, a year ago, my real parents showed up out of nowhere and had told me that they were my real parents who gave me up because they didn't have the money. Since they did now, they took me back in as their own—moving me half way across the country."

"And you would not believe who they were," I said, glancing up at Jack who gave me an eager look.

"Who?" He asked.

"Alice and William Vanderbilt," I said, causing Jack's jaw to immediately drop.

"You mean, the Alice and William Vanderbilt? The millionaire family who practically own this bloody city?" Jack asked, causing me to nod.

"Blimey, Samantha, if you live there, what are you doing down here?" Jack asked once again.

"Well, that is an extremely long story." I said.

"I've got nothing but time," Jack replied, earning a smile from me. "Come on, let's go somewhere we can talk. I know a pub we can go to that is not too far from here."

"Brilliant!" I said, imitating his accent to which he found extremely funny.

Once we had made it to the pub, we sat down at a table and chatted for a while. I had told him everything—from arriving in Avonlea as an orphan, to becoming the worlds richest daughter. I even told him about Thomas, Charlie, and Andrew. But, to my surprise, he already knew them.

"Hey, those are my mates!" Jack said, causing a look of confusion to flash over my face. "It has been forever since I last saw them—it was when they were taken in by...your mum and dad! Now all of this makes sense!"

"Wait," I said, waving my hands. "You're telling me you knew them before they were taken in my my family?"

"Yup!" Jack said, smiling. "I still remember the day they were told they were going to live in a mansion. You should've seen Thomas' face when they mentioned there would be a bloody girl."

Jack and I laughed together as the memories began to flood back into my mind like a river. The truth was, I really missed those boys. They were like the brothers I never had, and I only got to spend a short period of time with them.

"I really miss them," I admitted as the laughter died down. "They were always there for me. I felt alone after the incident with Gilbert,"

It felt so weird saying his name. It was like the memories of him were slowly drifting away. I couldn't quite manufacture the dimples that appeared on his cheeks every time he smiled, or the way his hair swooped just below his eyebrows when the wind blew through it.

It was almost impossible to picture Gilbert Blythe in my mind, which meant I was forgetting. I was forgetting the boy who was my first love, my first home. My only home.

"Hey, it's okay, Samantha," Jack assured me, giving me a kind smile. "You'll see him again, soon. I'll make sure of that."

"Not to be rude," I said, looking up at Jack. "But why are you helping me? I mean, we are strangers after all."

"Good question," Jack said, chuckling. "This may sound weird, but you remind me a bit of my mum. The adventurous lady she was, she was always there for me. When I lost her, a piece of me was torn away. But the moment I met you, I knew there was something about you that seemed familiar. It just feels like I have known you my whole life, even thought we've just met."

"Oh, Jack, I'm so sorry," I said sympathetically. "I had no idea."

"It's okay, really," Jack assured me, looking out the window at the town full of people. "Even though a piece of me was gone, her passing woke me up in a way. I now look at life in a completely different perspective—I know now to live life to the best I can."

"Wow," I said. "That was quite deep,"

Jack chuckled, looking back over to me. "I like you, Samantha. You're different than most girls. Most of them are wankers, really. But you, for some odd reason, really intrigue me."

"Is that a good thing?" I asked shyly.

"It's bloody amazing, if I say so," Jack said, causing the both of us to laugh. "So, where do you plan on starting your journey to find your mate?"

"Well, thats where I need help." I said, sighing and rubbing my eyes. "He could be anywhere,"

"Well, we best start looking then, shall we?" Jack said, standing up and smiling down at me.

"We shall," I said, smiling and standing up with him–the two of us walking out of the pub.

*question*
should I write a maze runner fanfic?
BECAUSE NEWT AVSGSJQHDGHS
but im not sure if i should or not
thoughts??