28 | AN INVITATION

28 | AN INVITATION

I YAWNED DRAMATICALLY as I stretched my arms wide and then relaxed—running my fingers through my blonde hair

I YAWNED DRAMATICALLY as I stretched my arms wide and then relaxed—running my fingers through my blonde hair. I then glanced over my right shoulder, meeting a sleepy Gilbert Blythe next to me. I giggled and softly kissed his forehead, causing him to stir.

"Mmmm," groaned Gilbert, rubbing his eyes.

"Goodmorning, sunshine," I said, giggling and watching as Gilbert sat up in bed, repeating my actions and running his hand through his disheveled brown hair.

"What time is it?" Gilbert asked, his voice deep and raspy.

"Nine thirty," I replied, getting up out of bed. "It's Saturday, so that means its my turn to make breakfast."

"Oh no you don't," Gilbert said, grabbing my forearm and pulling me back into the bed. "Can you stay here just a few more minutes?"

I felt my cheeks heaten up, but I pulled my arm out of his grasp, "Gilbert, I love you. But, I'm sorry to tell you that I love food more."

I then jumped out of bed and rushed downstairs before he could protest. Although, I think I ran a little too fast because I nearly knocked over Diana who was standing near the stairs.

"Samantha!" Diana exclaimed raising a hand to her chest and taking a breath. "You startled me!"

"I apologize," I said, slightly giggling.

"It's okay," Diana said, a wide grin spreading across her face. "So...how was he?"

I shot her a look of confusion, but as I began to figure out what she was meant, I softly smacked her, "Hey, we didn't do anything!"

"Mhmm," Diana said, winking and walking to the kitchen as I followed.

"Okay," I admitted, smiling sheepishly. "We kissed. But we didn't do anything else, I promise."

Diana jumped up at down with glee as she ran over to me and held my forearms, "Awe! You guys are so adorable!"

I smiled and pulled away, "Thank you, Diana, but I think it's time we need to fine you someone, too."

"What a splendid idea!" said Mrs. Barry, entering the kitchen with a cup of tea in her hands. "Diana, it is time for you to flourish into womanhood."

Diana and I exchanged glances, trying out best not to break out in a fit of laughter.

"Yes, mother," Diana exclaimed, sitting down at the table and pouring herself a cup of tea.