26 | BACK TO YOU

26 | BACK TO YOU

AVONLEA WAS A PLACE I NEVER thought I would see again

AVONLEA WAS A PLACE I NEVER thought I would see again. So many memories, so many stories, so many feelings...they all fluttered back into my mind like butterflies. But it almost seemed like it was possible. It seemed like now I could go back, could restart my life, and could return to my real family.

After riding the train to central Norway, Jack had received a letter from the doctor that his aunt had became extremely ill overnight. This was a shock to us all, but it impacted Jack the worst—coming that his aunt was the only family he had.

We had to say goodbye.

It wasn't easy, losing another close friend. But the thing that struck my mind the hardest as I watched him go, was that I had not let a single tear fall. My heart was so damaged that it hadn't felt any pain anymore. The amount of people that I have lost has caused the hole in my heart to devour any remaining feeling.

"So," I started, looking up at Jacks soft brow eyes for the last time. "This is goodbye?"

"Not a goodbye," Jack said, softly smiling. "More like a...see you later."

I immediately hugged him tightly, "Promise me that we will see each other again?"

"I promise," Jack said. "Now go, find your home. Don't give up hope, love."

"Thank you so much," I said, smiling. "For everything."

Jack smiling, kissing my forehead and slugging his bag over his shoulder. I watched as he walked away into the horizon, with his head held high.

"I really liked that British boy," Jerry said, tipping his hat.

"Yeah," I said, smiling. "Me too."

As the two of us boarded the boat, I looked out at the sunset which reflected off the calm, swaying water. Hopefully everything will turn out right in the end. After saying a silent prayer for Jacks aunt, Jerry and I stood side by side gazing at the water—watching the sun slowly disappear into the darkness.

"Wake up, Samantha!" Jerry said, shaking me slightly.

"I'm up!" I said, jolting up immediately.

Jerry chuckled at me and I sighed, lightly shoving his side, "You could've woken me up a little more nicely,"

"Sorry," Jerry admitted. "Just wanted to let you know that we're home."